Unlimited access >

Beware: Horse Electrocuted by Automatic Waterer

I work as an equine appraiser & equine expert witness. After being called recently by an insurance company to do a death-claim reimbursement for yet another horse electrocuted by an automatic waterer, I felt it was time to share this information with horse owners.

The Chronicle of the Horse just published my article on the subject. I wrote this article in collaboration with my husband, who is a licensed electrician. I’m hoping this information will help educate horse owners and save at least one equine life.

9 Likes

I was an expert witness for the manufacturers regarding injuries associated with electrical automated access control equipment. When determining fault or degree of fault there would be a review of just how the installation was done and what was the source of the problem …faulty equipment or faulty installation.

I wonder if the insurance carries you represent go back after either the installer of the equipment or the manufacturer to recover their loss?

I don’t believe so. I think the insurance companies simply cut their losses and move on…but I could be totally wrong on that.

Here is the catch with automatic waterers and electrical permits…at least, this is how it works in Canada. An electrical permit is only required on a NEW install of an automatic waterer. For example, if you were to purchased a farm that already has an existing waterer on site, there is a good faith assumption that it was installed and hooked up properly. As a result, insurance companies normally do not deny claims involving waterers that were already on the property when the owner moved in.

That being said, this is why it is so important for horse owners to get their automatic waterers inspected when moving on to a new property, especially if there is clear evidence that the automatic waterers are older models. Ground can shift, rodents can do damage to the wiring, the install may have been done by the previous owner and not done properly, etc.

What about electric fences? Can those pose an electrocution risk as well?

Great question! My husband says the answer is no. Electric fencers have massive voltage but no current. It’s the current that kills. Even if you stood in a puddle of water with bare feet and touched the fence, it’s going to hurt bad, but will not kill you.

1 Like

electric fence charger’s grounding rod (if used) should not be any closer than 10 feet of the electrical panel ground or water line (if metallic) … this is to reduce/eliminate cross feed

This may be an incredibly stupid question, but here goes… Does the auto waterer electrocution risk include waterers that simply function with valves and water pressure? I can’t wrap my mind around how they could be risky from an electrocution standpoint without actually having an electricity source, but maybe I’m missing a point about faulty barn wiring somehow arcing to the waterer?..

I’d rather ask the dumb questions and keep the property safe, I guess. This one makes me feel pretty derpy to type out though! :laughing:

It’s not a stupid question. Better safe than sorry. To be honest, before I met my husband, I knew absolutely nothing about electricity. I still know very little, but I’m learning as the years go by. lol

I assume you either have a non-electric waterer or frost-free waterer. Neither one uses any type of electricity in order for the waterer to work. If that is the case, then there would be no risk of a horse getting shocked or electrocuted. That being said, I assume you are 100% sure there isn’t a heater or heating element inside the waterer?

Any electrical that horses can reach should be on a GFCI breaker. If a waterer has an electrical problem it should trip the GFCI.

I don’t understand the articles comment about GFCI being sensitive to rain, condensation, etc. as the GFCI would not be housed inside the waterer. If the GFCI is tripping when it rains it means you have an electrical problem not a GFCI problem.

1 Like

It will entirely depend on the individual property, but most horse and livestock owners either have their GFCI electrical outlets set up on the outside of the house or on a power pole close to the automatic waterer. In some cases, if you open up the inside of an automatic waterer, there is a GFCI electrical outlet inside the waterer that allows you to plug in an additional heater, etc. So in many cases, a GFCI electrical outlet or breaker is housed outside.

For those that don’t know what they are, a GFCI electrical outlet is basically the same kind of electrical outlet you have in your bathroom with the little red reset button on it.

Another reason…well, the biggest reason… I had a Bar-Bar-A Horsedrinker installed. No electricity at all. I had read enough horror stories of horses getting zapped, colicking from not drinking and, as you stated, dying by electrocution to know that I never want electricity & water to mix.

How sad :frowning:

1 Like

I envy horse owners that are able to use non-electric waterers. Unfortunately, some areas of the U.S. and Canada prohibit their use. We live in mid/northern Canada where winter temperatures are - 40 F. Unfortunately the non-electric waterers do not fair well here. :wink: In some areas of North America, the frost line is less than 12". Where we are, the frost line is 36" or 3 feet.

1 Like

Thank you for sufficiently terrifying me!

Last winter was incredibly mild here in Maryland. I never even put out my tank deicers. This winter has been mild as well, but it’s not over yet.

I’ve been debating auto waterers for whenever we finally buy a new place. Maybe not now…

here is a frost depth chart for the continental US… 100 inches in northern Minnesota
https://www.hammerpedia.com/frost-line-map/#:~:text=The%20frost%20line%20is%20simply,to%20as%20the%20frost%20depth.&text=When%20water%20changes%20from%20liquid,detrimental%20to%20footings%20and%20foundations.

we are at about five or six inches in my part of north Texas (most likely Less due to being in the middle of the city)

I would not put that as a fail of the GFCI but rather a fail of installation. The better way is to put a GFCI in the circuit box where the power originates. If the GFCI is in the waterer and keeps popping then I would classify that as poor product design.

going forward things may become simpler or more complicated as GFCIs will need to have a auto-monitoring feature

New requirements for GFCIs have been approved and will become effective on May 5, 2021. The new requirements relate to the new Auto-Monitoring Function for GFCIs, and manufacturers of GFCI products may require additional testing to comply with the new requirements.

At our previous barn the BO installed 7 heated Nelsons outside, accessible to all of the horses when turned out. My horse was on pasture board. I like the fact that water was the right temperature and always available. No one had to go out and pound ice when it was below zero. No need to deal with extensions cords and heaters. No need to keep the hose someplace warm and drag it around to the spigots. It was close to the gate so I checked it whenever I turned my horse out. The watering system is on a separate well and electricity from the house, barn and outbuildings. There is a hookup for a generator. They keep replacement parts there so they don’t have to be ordered.

We had a problem with stray current once in about 15 years. It was where my horse was turned out. If it’s not working they all gather near it and watch. If no one gets out there according to their timetable, they kick the unit. The stainless steel on the Nelson shows no signs of abuse. If a tub is out there they check the waterer first, then go to the tub.

If you test and get a very small reading it doesn’t mean the horses don’t get shocked, or it’s too small to make a difference. They got a tub immediately. I called Nelson and they were very helpful. Their rep gave me a lot of information on finding the source. He said the state of Wisconsin has a lot of information about grounding online. Apparently if a cow gets a tiny zap milk production stops and doesn’t come back. He also said to call the electric company to check all of their equipment. They came the morning after I called and did a thorough check. They said to make sure the electrician check all panels. We checked all of the electric fencing.

No one could figure out where it came from. The problem isn’t necessarily whatever is closest to the waterer. A grounding rod near the unit fixed the problem. I’ve always wondered how well the entire system was grounded when it was installed. It wasn’t done by an electrician. It’s really important, in my opinion, to be absolutely certain to focus on grounding during installation.

We moved to a new barn a couple of months ago. He’s 26 now and needed a change of environment. The stalls have heated Nelsons that were installed when the barn was built. My horse is now in a 12x12 stall with a “gossip window” in the stall grill so he can observe the aisleway, and a back door out to a large run. It functions like pasture board with a shed and he loves it. The barn is always left open, except for horrendous weather. The fields where they are turned out have tubs which are kept open.

My horse was the last one to use it when they first were installed. He didn’t like the swirling water. Throwing in a few apple slices worked. I haven’t seen a new horse outside have a problem; they probably learn from each other. There is one new horse at our new barn that is having a problem in the stall.

We are in southern Maine where the frost line is down about three feet. I used to do chores at the previous barn before the waterers were installed. It sucks pretty bad trying to keep water available when the high temperature for the day is below zero. Pounding ice is just the beginning. Whenever I heard someone complaining about chores I was tempted to turn off waterers and steal the Gator for a couple of days. :grin:

having dealt with similar issues with electrical equipment it is OFTEN found the neutral wire (white wire) was defective (poor connection or defective wire such as insulation missing )… if defective the return power was going to earth ground, one way or the other