Big toe nail removal...

On Saturday I was a victim of a hit and run by a 5 year old nephew on a John Deere Pedal tractor. :slight_smile:

After making it to the porch to set the cake down that I was carrying, I got the nerve to look at my toe. My big toe nail was popped up at the bottom and bleeding. Talk about HURT!!! :eek:

That night I wrapped it best I could and went on with throwing the birthday party for the SO. The next day I went to the oncall doctor with my insurance and he removed the nail. Here I am on Friday with another appt on Monday to see a foot doc.

My concern for all the CoTH’ers is how long to do you think before I could put a boot on to ride my horses? I can not even bring myself to even attempt something other than a flip flop…

I was stepped on by a horse a couple of years ago (I was wearing paddock shoes), and it kind of ground the nail off my big toe. It took me an hour or so to really look, because when I took my paddock shoe off there was blood on my sock. I was a weenie, and just put my shoe back on until I was home and had someone to hold my hand when I took the sock off.

My toe was black and blue for a while, and it took forever for the nail to grow back. But I think I was back in paddock shoes and riding the next day. No broken bones. I cut the toes off three socks and used those as extra padding by slipping all three over by toes.
Sheilah

I had an ingrown toe nail one time and they had to cut off almost all of my nail. OW. I was able to put a normal shoe on after a few days…but doing any activity made the whole toe throb and sometimes bleed. I was playing lax at the time and was out of that for 2 weeks.

The actual toe will heal faster than you think…but the throbbing is awful! Good luck. If you get a shoe on soon, youre a braver one than I.

My three kids are collegiate soccer players - that’s a chronic injury in our house. The first time it happened to my daughter, we went to the doctor for it to be removed. Now, years later, she takes care of it herself. :eek: They don’t even miss a beat anymore!

Thanks, I think I am going to be thankful that my paddock boots have a rounded toe!

I dropped a brick on my toe some years ago and split the nailbed right up the middle, but did not actually break the toe OR nail (so I was bleeding into the toe/under the nail but no where for the blood to drain) It was fairly ugly.

This happened in Jan (had the nail removed on New Years, actually!) It was March/April before I could even get my toe into a boot, and I was still tender at Nationals in August.

But for me my nailbed was DEEPLY split, there was a lot of nerve and vascular damage, not just your typical “popped up the toenail” sort of thing.

I’m still a little embrassed about how the ER docs marvelled at my toenail not splitting. :frowning: I have my father’s prehistoric iron toenails.

I’m recovering from a broken bone in my foot, the result of my OTTB not being fond of fly spraying. I thought maybe a week or so off. NOT! The foot is so complicated, mine swelled up like an eggplant and it took WEEKS of a bone stimulator and ice plus a “boot” before I could get a real boot on. I lost a toenail once and had a long recovery then too. Feet are not easy to work without when you ride! Maybe if you have a pair that is a little too big you could try. But it hurts me just thinking about it!

Got an old pair of boots? Cut out the area of the affected toe. Did that when
I had a toe nail removed with a pair of tennies. Just rode in the tennies but
nothing fast or high.

Another time when a pin sticking out of toe, and it had been weeks for both
horse and me (he was also lame). Put on a pair of nylon type snow boots that
were very roomie. It worked.