Unlimited access >

Big wither, flat thoracic: what saddles to look for?

My big yellow horse has gotten too wide for his MW Four Star saddle (By Dabbs). it wasn’t the best fit front to back anyway (not that he cared…he is quite stoic). Looking for used options in the $2000 cnd range and so far not finding much locally. I also need something with a cushy seat like the Four Star. I would rather not get the current saddle adjusted as I use it on client horses and may give it to my lesson horse. Horse has a big shoulder/wither, but the wither drops off suddenly to a flat back.

Ideas of saddles to look for?

I would look at anything British made (however not Dabbs, as they tend to be curvier in the tree), as long as your horse isn’t very short backed. They tend to be a flatter tree shape and wool flocked, and some companies do a front gusset which is nice for the big withers.

1 Like

Thanks, he has a long back. Having a surprisingly hard time finding saddles to even try. I didn’t know wide tree saddles for under $2500 were a rarity.

Try a used French saddle with a wide tree. The code might be AO or AO2 (AO= arcade open=wide). Devoucoux, Antares, Voltaire.

Equipe will have some models that are straighter with wide tree options but if you have to buy new it will be over budget. I have seen online a Canadian used saddle seller that has some decent Equipe inventory (I was looking for some jump saddles to try since my local rep has mostly dressage but I was largely striking out).

1 Like

I have someone with an old Devoucoux for sale, but do they stamp the width somehow? She only seems to know the flap style/size.

Yes.

Arcade Normal is regular tree

Arcade Ouverie is wide tree

Here is a Devoucoux stamp showing a regular tree

1 Like

If your horse is truly wide and flat backed, a lot of thhe French saddles may be a no go either due to being too narrow or too curvy in shape.

Perhaps there may be an Equipe or Prestige model that works for you. A friend of mine just went with a Passion for her two TB with big withers and shoulders but flatter shaped back. I have a Prestige Paris Classic for my short backed land whale with a moderate wither and huge shoulders who would never comes close to fitting in anything French and she is TB/Trakenher cross. She is next to impossible to fit, so I feel your pain.

If you’re looking in Canada and don’t mind black, I traded my Albion Kontrol into Sprucewood Tack when I got my Prestige (was used on a different horse), and it was within your budget and so comfy and secure and was a generous MW with a front gusset for high withers. I think they may still have it.

@Spud_amp_Saf I don’t see it on their website currently…must have sold it. Thank you for your advice though! I do love Prestige. He is an odd build, so not wide through the chest, but his back is just flatter across the top and lengthwise, and he has big saddlebred shoulders and a high, but fat wither. A ruler will lay flat lengthwise on the top of his ribs when he is engaged in work…it is quite ridiculous. I have sent pictures/emails to six places across Canada now. One has a Prestige that does look promising, but I haven’t heard back yet.