Bilateral hip replacement

Hey guys
Had my left hip done 5 years ago, and now right hip is painful. My left one was a case of medical malpractice in that I awoke up with a posterior instead of anterior approach ( Dr did not do anterior approach but did not tell me…). I was in PT for almost 4 months and still have weakness issues on that side. I am worried about this hip. The pain was pretty bad afterwards for weeks with the first , have a 3/4 in leg length difference and I am very apprehensive about surgery. I also event , and the thought of riding around with 2 THR is a little daunting. Words of wisdom anyone?

I probably shouldn’t even respond since I didn’t have a hip replacement but I did have a cam lesion removed and a labrum tear repaired in each hip. It made a world of difference for the better. I think the chances of it going so poorly the second time is pretty remote. I hope it goes well and you wish you did it a lot sooner.

Just end shiny you good luck and a good recovery. I ride with a friend that has become th hips replaced over about 4 years and she is very happy and pain free.

I meant wishing you good luck…

I’ve had both of my hips replaced - at the same time - so my recovery was a little rough at the beginning, but I am glad that I did it, otherwise there would be no riding at all. I have found yoga focusing on keeping the hips stretched and open has made a huge difference. I have no pain from riding at all and have a better seat than I have had in years, simply because the hips work they way they should. I understand your reluctance, which is why I did both at the same time - I knew I would put off the second one because surgery and recovery rarely go well for me. But, I was only 46 at the time and wasn’t about to give up riding. I do dressage but I honestly have not felt any apprehension about riding, probably because I feel more secure than I had in the last few years. My 4 y/o did toss me this fall and I landed directly on the left hip - bruised it pretty bad but it seems to be okay.

You can do it

I’ve had both hips replaced, seven years apart, and other than needing a taller mounting block, am riding better than ever. No pain. None, from the hips.

Both of mine were done posteriorly. I urge you to research and shop around for a good surgeon. Talk openly and candidly about your expectations. Begin your PT exercises before your surgery. You will find it easier to do them after surgery if you’re already used to doing them.

With my first hip surgery I mounted my horse at 7 weeks, just to see if I could and how much it would hurt. My trainer had my Appy on the lunge line. We walked, then I trotted, and after 10 minutes I slid off in tears. Tears of joy. No pain. Yes, I was stiff and weak, but the pain was gone and so was that little voice in the back of my head that kept questioning whether I’d really be able to ride again. At 10 weeks I was back to regular lessons and gradually building time and strength.

It was 10 weeks for my second hip surgery before I mounted up again…but I knew what to expect. I did lose some muscle tone with the second one that I have to fight to keep more so than the first. Not sure why. But I ride, and my position is better than it’s ever been.

Good luck.

I second what mtngrl said about surgeon shopping. Find someone that does a lot of them…and will do what they say. Did your first surgeon tell you he was doing an anterior approach? Sometimes, an anterior approach is not possible but that should be discussed in the pre-op discussion.

I had yet a different approach called Superpath. It was a relatively new procedure for the surgeon but it went well and I was on my horse (oust a few pony rides) in 4 1/2 weeks.

Many surgeons still do the posterior approach and when I was researching the Superpath approach, the outcomes of all three techniques a year down the road was similar. Each approach has it’s own set of possible complications so it comes down to you and the surgeon…what will be technically possible and your desire for minimal pain and a rapid recovery.

Good luck.
Susan

1 Like

I am having bilateral anterior THR in September. I am a competitive dressage rider, and keep my two horses and companion pony at home. I haven’t been able to ride in a year and a half and am desperate to get the surgery done. It took time to get my GP (who is very old school) to refer me. I am now 58. My question is, were your new hips cemented or not cemented (needing to graft) and did that make a difference when you got on again. I’m fearful of loosening the new hips by getting on too soon…mine will be un-cemented, so I’m wondering if I should wait the three to four months while the femur and pelvic bones do their grafting? Also, if you keep your horses at home, how long did it take before . you felt comfortable doing barn chores? Any thoughts you are willing to share are greatly appreciated! Many thanks! I am still mucking, turning out and lunging. I also go to a somatic yoga class and mat pilates and do what I can. My range of motion is so limited and I am on Meloxicam and sometimes Tylenol full time until surgery in September.

Not sure why you are asking us instead of your doctor but since you asked I vote If you aren’t going to wait the amount of time your doctor advises before resuming activity you shouldn’t have the surgery at all. Why risk it?

1 Like

This thread has been very informative to hear everyone’s different experiences. I am a 43 year old professional hunter trainer. I was riding until 4 days ago when I went to the ortho and was told to stop. He scheduled my surgery that day for 2 1/2 weeks from now because my hip is in just bad shape. I was told because of updated technology I would be able to start riding the easy horses within about 30 days. I’m hoping he is right! Good luck 2920 with your surgery.

1 Like

My SO has had both done, 2 years apart. I think she sat on her horse at 6 weeks and was starting back to lessons and jumping around 3 months. Yoga has made a huge difference for her. The first one was harder because you don’t know what to expect, and the other hip wasn’t 100%.

They will give you PT exercises, maybe, depending on the philosophy of the surgeon you use. The first time she had a whole set of exercises and frequent appointments, second time they said “go home and live your life, just don’t do too much too soon.” Enlist a family member to nag you about your gait and posture - old habits are hard to break.

Find a yoga studio that does rehab or therapeutic yoga with an instructor who understands hip replacements. Go as often as you can, ideally several times a week.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the feedback, much appreciated.
CGolden, you will have had your surgery by now… When you are up to it, let me know how you are doing! Hoping that . you’ve had a successful surgery and are healing well.
Betsyk I believe the Somatic yoga that I’m practicing now for pain control will help with the rehab, thank you for your input…very helpful.