Unlimited access >

Bio Security on the Farm

Does anybody adhere to a protocol to keep from dragging cooties onto the property?

I started wondering after I came back from the feed store (where I wandered around the whole store) and promptly stepped into my brooder where my new chicks live which are perhaps 2 weeks old.

Luckily we don’t live in an area where the bird flu has taken a foothold yet, but it is a concern.
What about other livestock?
I mean we have heard about the spread of infectious diseases via horse shows.

I feel like I dropped the ball, big time here, and think I need to invest in ‘farm shoes’ and ‘city shoes’ for my little fluffers.

I kinda do without meaning too. I have separate clothes and shoes for my barn than I wear for outside lessons. I wash my hands and sometimes fit a shower in.

2 Likes

Biosecurity was so drilled into us in high school ag classes and in my animal science classes in college. I feel like horse ppl don’t take it as seriously as would those working with other farm animals. I know much of it is hard, if not impossible, in a boarding facility.

I get the hairy eyeball for standard protocols. I quarantined my (pet) goat, who went to the fair, before she went back with her senior pal, etc. I warn ppl with backyard flocks to be careful without much success.

If you are considering this at all, you are leaps and bounds ahead of many. Some of the stuff can be elaborate to keep up with depending on the situation. Do the best you can. It isn’t too hard to leave “town” shoes by your front door when you come home and rubber boots by the back door. Wash your hands and if you have been in direct contact, change clothes. Extension always has lots of stuff on best practices. USDA and others have really been pushing biosecurity for backyard flocks, woth good reason, so there is a lot out good info out there.

Bird stuff is scary bc it seems so easy to transmit. Also be careful w pet birds. Good luck with the fluffs

edit to add: https://poultry.extension.org/articles/poultry-health/biosecurity-for-small-poultry-flocks/

3 Likes

I sold a lot of access control systems to poultry farms (chicken/turkey) and the related pet food processors located usually near or next to the poultry farms. The systems we sold were of the same grade or greater than we used on maximum security prisons.

Here at out little place we have isolation paddocks separated from all others where new stock is kept for a few weeks or if there is any question about where the horse has been off grounds.

2 Likes

Right now the number of backyard poultry flocks positive in my state ( Washington) is growing. Having facility shoes if not wardrobe is prudent.

The contaminate is coming in from wild birds, but certainly there is risk within Ag community at common places like a feed store.

With so many people having home chickens, this potentially could be any community space

I know Canada has recommended taking down wild bird feeders

I think reasonable biosecurity; order of tasks, dedicated clothing, is a reasonable habit year round. It is responsible in both directions. Protect yourself and protect the rest of your community

2 Likes

although I think that would be a little overkill for my 6 chicks.

anybody have any favorite ‘barn shoes’?
it gets hot here, the grass is usually wet in the mornings.

I was considering something similar to crocs for chicken duty. Something more substantial for actual yard work.
(and my nasty shoes need a wash, the mud stains them, making them look tacky when I am about town. )

take a look at NEOS, New England Over Shoes. They are sturdy one piece pull overs that can fit over any shoe you have on. They have knee high or well over ankle. They have traction models and ones that accommodate a sturdier shoe like a hiker.

easy to disinfect

I like them because I dont have to take off the shoes I have on to put them on

otherwise wellies with a foot bed insert would be my choice.

1 Like

Sloggers. Plastic shoes, removable insole, totally washable. Get min at TS but also on line.

2 Likes