Unlimited access >

Biothane Harness Recommendation

Looking for suggestions on where to purchase Biothane pleasure harnesses for a couple of lucky 12.2hh ponies. Would like to find a place that would offer a selection of trim colors.

Please share your recources, and I promise to share pictures of the little demons in said harnesses.

Thanks!

I think yonnies does color trim now, so any yonnies dealer will probably work!

Iā€™ve bought yonnies stuff from the carriage House and Chrysalis acres, both have good customer service

I 2nd Chrysalis Acres.
Mary is a pleasure to work with.
She told me she had done a {shudder} HOT PINK harness for a customer, so any trim color should not faze her.

Thanks so much! I will definitely start where suggested. I hope to not give a harness maker a head ache with my color scheme, would like to have some lime green trim on black harnesses, shooting for pony cute and not ponrageous. Thanks again!

My work bridle is trimmed in teal and my work reins are also teal (with rubberized canvas), and I love them. I got them from Mary at Chrysalis Acres (yes, sheā€™s a Yonnieā€™s dealer, and I believe lime green trim is available).

It was probably hot pink trim, and Iā€™m sure I know who has that harness! It actually doesnā€™t look as bad as you imagine, although it is still too much for my tastes

We had our pair harness made in Ontario, and the owner, Abner, goes and visits Yonnies to get ideas for his harness. Weā€™ve had it for a few years and really like it. It has held up well and is very similar to a Yonnies harness (we have a single Yonnies and love it as well).

He makes several colours (green included!) but is Amish and does not respond to emails or facebook, though he does have a FB page that a friend takes care of. Check out Custom Driving Harnesses (or Countryside Harness Abner Brubacher). The Canadian dollar will go a lot further for you Americans as well! His prices are lower than Yonnies and the quality is the same/similar.

Weā€™ve also had a Zilco pair harness for our 13h pair, but like the Countryside one better.

1 Like

I bought some very fineā€¦but blackā€¦biothane from Meaderā€™s Harness Companyā€¦in New Hampshire as I recall. I donā€™t know if they do colors now.

I think Zilco might do trim as well, although I have heard many people who live in the Southeast not recommend Zilco. Apparently it does not handle the humidity too well.

Too bad because I finally got their tugs designed for telescoping tips and I think they would work better with a Zilco saddle/girthā€¦ and I like their comfy fit breast collar (so then I will need their traces as wellā€¦ and at that point why not get the breeching and hold back straps?). So in spite of my reservations I may end up with a zilco. We will see. Iā€™m debating between the comfy fit and Camptownā€™s breast collarā€¦

We got a used Zilco Team (for 4 horses) harness that has red piping. I expect it was special ordered, but shows Zilco can add color to their harnesses. We have had good luck with using Zilco harness over the years. It does wear over time, but can be repaired. D We have both cold and humidity here, but not the heat of southern States. This piped edge harness will be our second set of Zilco and we do like it for all the reasons synthetic harness is so popular.

Pretty sure she told me it was all pink :ambivalence:
IMO, pink trim would not be as gag-alicious.
But then, I am stodgy :cool:

All pink could work as a safety device! You would be very VISIBLE coming down the road or trail!! Ha ha

I have a custom biothane harness from Yonies and it is very nice. Everyone likes it and I have gotten complements on it. Funny thing is I donā€™t like it cause itā€™s not leather :frowning: and it is more difficult for me to adjust. But thatā€™s my problem and no fault of the harness.
I am pretty sure that they do colors, too.

Chimacum tack much be another option, I know they do colors.
ā€ā€¹ā€ā€¹ā€ā€¹ā€ā€¹

Sebastien Boutin in Canada makes beautiful harnesses in pretty much every color you might think of. He will do custom work as well in leather or biothane. Since they are in Canada they know what works in the extreme cold if that is a factor for you. https://sebastienboutin.wixsite.com/equin-star

They are on facebook too - and speak English. They made a beautiful custom bridle for my Haflinger whoā€™s head was huge and also huge in weird places.

Might look at Two Horse Tack also.

Chimacum Tack will do bright mix and match colors for you - check out their Marafun harnesses. Iā€™ve gotten a few things from them (though not a full harness set), and they are well made and the customer service was excellent. Iā€™ll probably end up ordering my next set from them, as they make donkey-specific harnesses.

1 Like

We use the NonStop Freemotion harness, which is made for pulling and neither restricts breathing nor his shoulder motion (which is the most common issue with other harnesses). You can adjust it pretty well.

The wheezing pant doesnā€™t necessarily have to be because of the harness. We mantrail with ours, and when he gets very excited he gets that, too, and his harness is not restricting at all. Itā€™s more of a ā€œcome on, I know where to go, why are you so dreadfully slow? Come on, come on, come onā€ type of thingā€¦ :wink: The Only thing you can do there is trying to improve his self-control.

My wonderful old leather LaSalle harness (15 yrs in storage!) is now cleaned and oiled and beautiful. I couldnā€™t believe my eyes when i pulled it out of the back of the storage room and it wasnā€™t hard or mouse-eaten! Now, the problem isā€¦itā€™s too goodā€¦ and I donā€™t want to use it to train my new young guy. So iā€™m looking for a biothane. Please ignore my previous comment about ā€˜Two Horse Tackā€™, i see that they are not as good as so many out there. Can anyone tell me about the ā€œIVC Endura Synthetic Harnessā€? i really like the looks of that V band collar. There are two other models they have which i can substitute in that collar though. Anybody have an IVC brand?

I donā€™t have one, but I scoped them out when I was in their booth at Live Oak (ordering my leather harness from IVC) and they looked nice, pretty much the same quality as my yonnies (in fact it looks identical, since I have the ā€œsuper Vā€).

1 Like

Iā€™ve been pleased with my Comfy Fit harness, and Iā€™m fairy certain Chimacum Tack can do colors.