Unlimited access >

Bit advice

Hello!

sorry this is long but I feel like the background story is needed.

I’m looking for suggestions for my gelding. I started him with a mullen happy mouth bit. When that didn’t seem strong enough anymore we switched to metal, and played around with numerous types of snaffles (all with a flash). He went well in a french link full cheek for a while, but over time seemed to develop some (what I perceived as) stiffness in his neck, becoming very resistant to his right rein and eventually not wanting it touched at all, started rearing when there was pressure on the right rein. Huge issue for a horse that is supposed to be an eventer. I thought maybe he needed the chiropractor for something in his neck or back, but that didn’t seem to make any difference. He had more bad days than good days…I tried riding without a bit and his “stiffness” was gone. So I switched back to the happy mouth to have domething soft in his mouth and took the flash off and he was a happy boy, no more resistance…for a while.

Now he’s back to just pulling against my right rein all the time and ignoring it when I want to use it (but no more rearing thank god). Also just wants to stick his neck straight out with his head down, and nothing iI try seems to get him to lift his poll. I’ve tried a bit burr on the left side and found that he goes AMAZING in it- hes attentive, doesnt fight my right rein, and carries himself the way I want. And that’s great, at home. So, any suggestions on what to use to get th is affect at shows? As I don’t believe a bit burr is allowed.

thanks!!

When was the last time his teeth were checked?

3 Likes

About 6 months ago. He gets them done every year.

My guess would be this is a hind end problem. He’s not reaching under so he can’t bend and hold himself up. not a bit problem. tons of lateral work and transitions.

Hate to say it but could be at least partially the rider. Do you have a trainer? What does he/she say?

Problems definitely stem from the rider much of the time. Ive got some bad habits that Ive been working on fixing. But yes I do have a trainer…he’s been on my horse and he acted the same way with him. He suggested using the bit burr every once in a while

Do not use a bit burr. Ugh…I just had to re-work with a horse who was hanging on the right rein. Clearly because riders had been hanging on the right rein. He quickly got better with me when I didn’t get baited into PULLING ON THE REIN. But turning him and bending him from my LEG. LOTS and LOTs of leg. So shoulder in, leg yielding etc. And when turning…turning more from my outside aids,…So turning right isn’t from pulling on the right rein but much more from the left leg. It is very simple…just not easy. I’m not someone who thinks you never use the reins…but everything you are describing is from a rider pulling. And you are not going to fix it using a bit burr. That will at most give your a temp band aid. Most of the time, if a horse is HANGING on one rein…he either has a rider who pulls on that rein…or has a soundness issue somewhere. So make sure it isn’t the latter…if that is all clear…then get yourself to a good dressage trainer. Fix it with proper flat work…and it will carry over to your jumping too.

1 Like

Good advice. I do always try to turn more with my legs but I’ll work on it more. It’s frustrating, even when going straight he wants to brace against that rein and bend his head and neck to the left, which is why I initially thought I should have the chiropractor work on him.

He very well may need chiro work. But also…it can just plain take time to get them strong and correct. And ones who really twist even when you are going straight are tough. It baits you into getting into a pulling contest…but you will not win that game and they will not get softer on that rein by pull on it. It almost always (but not always) means he is going crooked behind. Don’t focus on his head and neck at this time…but focus on his hind end. Is he traveling straight (hind end and shoulders in line) or is he putting his haunches out to one side. Going straight, you should always be thinking about him going in a shoulder fore to the right. If he is bracing against that rein when straight…I can almost guarantee you are not really straight. This isn’t the kind of thing that gets fixed quickly…but it will get better with proper work! Good luck!

1 Like

if you want to fix yourself from pulling on the rein to turn, ride in a hackamore for a while!