Bit Gurus! I Need Help with a Jay Shuttleworth Bit!

Hello!

I Hope this is OK to post/ I’m needing some information on a bit that I just got that appears to be crafted by Jay Shuttelworth (has the initials JKS stamped on the D part of the HS Duo Nathe D-Ring Snaffle, and the way the mouthpiece is fixed on the D seams to be in line with how I’ve see his bits before.)

I have poked around the internet and not found much as far as in their worth or how to even assess them, I may want to hang on to it in the sake that I like having nifty pieces in my collection of tack! But I am just so curious about it (my presumed Jay Shuttleworth HS Duo D-Ring).

Thanks for ANY help!!!

Thank you, I am not looking on information about the Duo Bit rather information on the Jay Shuttleworth stamp ON my HS Duo Bit.

1 Like

If it is a standard bit then could it just be a stamp from the prior owner? Some people get leather and metal stamps to keep common items from walking off at big barns.

1 Like

I thought he made custom bits, but I know nothing about them.

A brief google search led me to an ebay listing for what is purported to be a Jay Shuttleworth bit. There’s a photo of the JKS stamp. OP, does it look like the stamp on yours?

Would be interesting to compare with the original to see the modifications.

I once scored a used duo D-ring at a tack store for $20. I bought it, even though I had no use for it, and ultimately sold it at a decent profit.

1 Like

It used to be that you could only get the HS Duo mouth on a loose ring from the manufacturer. So Jay Shuttleworth used the mouthpiece to craft his own version with dee rings. I know this because I bought one from him way back when (I haven’t shown in over 10 years, and it was prior to that so I’ll guess and say 15 years ago?). I want to say back then I paid $150ish, can’t recall for sure. But then HS got “with it” and started producing dee rings so there wasn’t a need for a custom version to get a hunter dee. I don’t think there is any big allure of the Shuttleworth version that would make it worth more than the HS version now available.

And, yes, the JKS stamp like in that ebay listing Peggy posted is exactly how my Shuttleworth bits were marked.

6 Likes

yes, this is the stamp

thank you! this is the information I was looking for :slight_smile: And yes, the stamp provided is identical to the stamp on mine, I kind of want to hold on to it for keeps sake but It’ll probably get dumped in the sale bit :wink:

Thank you

I’m aware of this! It is indeed his stamp

I own this bit. It cost $550 years ago. You can tell as there is the extra metal on the D ring above and below the mouthpiece + plus the stamp. Brad at Equusport used to make an almost identical bit, same price point. I noticed it’s no longer available on his website. I have had many people try to buy it and I won’t sell it. Mouthpiece is a tad thicker than the current Duo off the rack versions. Newer versions made by other companies just aren’t the same. https://www.equusport.com/product/d-nathe-mullen-flexible-mouth/

I had a custom JS bit. Great craftsmanship. I don’t think he is around anymore sadly. I want to say I paid $150? That was 20 years ago.

1 Like