Unlimited access >

Bit ideas for a pony who throws his head?

Two different ponies that are having almost the same issues is not a coincidence…I really urge you to find a new trainer. You sound like a competent rider looking to improve your pony and have his best interest in mind. I think you would both be happier and progress more with a new trainer. Also height totally matters. My 17hh 7 year old horse is more than capable of jumping 5’ (since he used to jump out of his paddock when he was boarded as a 4 year old) and we’re still jumping 2’3" courses because I know he is not ready to move up to 2’6". Those measly 3" make a big difference!

I agree two horses with the same problem…probably not a coincidence. I would be looking for a new trainer. Your gut told you something was wrong…keep following your gut

So OP is a very smart kid, for sure. I do not always think that online advice is that valuable, but in this case the advice seems sound and the OP is being thoughtful and mature, in both asking for it, and in taking it in. Kudos to you, kid!

2 Likes

You’re getting some pretty good (though I’m sure disappointing) advice so far, and you seem to be understanding it. GOOD FOR YOU! I know the fast project turnover is tempting, but this pony clearly isn’t having it. Remember that these ponies are trained for juniors, many of which are not nearly as strong or sophisticated a rider as you seem to be. Putting a solid base on this pony instead of taking shortcuts might be the difference between one of your braided and bowed comrades having a nice round or getting launched into orbit.
I just wanted to bring up a bitting idea for you to think on. I believe you said he’s been in a smooth D-ring and a corkscrew full cheek. Both of those are single jointed and work on the tongue, bars, and palate in a collapsing scissor action. The full cheek might have a bit of a different angle in the mouth because of the keepers. Super traditional, and fine for tons of horses. But for horses with a low palate the scissor action can be pretty uncomfortable and can cause a variety of evasions. Maybe have a look at how his mouth is shaped, or try some other, not harsher, bits and see if he isn’t more comfortable. A lot of pony bits are as big around as the horse counterparts, he might not be into that. The Myler bits tend to be thinner in diameter, and shaped more like a horses mouth. I love a KK loose ring with a lozenge, but that’s not going to go over at all in hunterland, so let’s keep it realistic.
Best of luck, I hope you make pony finals the NEXT year!