Unlimited access >

Bit Issue

The bit holder that Jackie Cochran mentions could work, but would not be show-legal. That may not matter to you.

Another possibility would be to put a softer (literally softer) bit in the mouth, like an HS Duo bit or a Nathe bit, maybe a mullen mouth. Both of these bits are soft plastic, very pliable and unlike the hard plastic Happy Mouths.

I’m thinking that the soft plastic may not cause pain to the back molars in the same way that a metal bit might. You could also try a leather bit. They’re a little harder to find.

If the horse is doing well bitless, and you don’t care about doing rated shows, then you might just want to stick with what works.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Trust makes a lot of physically-soft mouthed bits, too. I have one that’s my go-to for new horses.

2 Likes

Would wrapping the current bit in Sealtex be an option? Just in the event that you don’t have a tack shop local & would have to ship in the softer material Mullen mouth bits. Not sure how big of a deal this is but Sealtex is apparently dressage legal* now anyways

Edit: *Depends on the organization

1 Like

What about a bit with a lot of bar relief? So it wouldn’t likely get pulled up the bars and into the back teeth? You could see about trying a Bombers Ultra Comfy Lock Up - so bar relieve and the center locks and won’t collapse up or backwards.

1 Like

A Kineton noseband might work, but it wouldn’t be acceptable for recognized competition.

1 Like

Side vent: it’s dang near impossible to find Sealtex these days! It seems like nobody has it in stock anymore. Bummer as I was looking for some myself recently.

1 Like

I ride bitless and there are some schooling shows who will allow it but many will not- it is up to the judge. You can show western dressage bitless.

2 Likes

Is the bit for sure going between the molars?

My first thought was a leather bit and chin piece though not dressage legal.

1 Like

You and me both, I have a 21 year old.

Another thought is to try a bit that does not fold up in any way, but is also curved forward, and cannot pinch or jangle. My favorite one like this is not legal, although probably one of the kindest bits out there (The WTP NP bit), but a Myler is legal and might also work.

1 Like

The Neue Schule Turtle Top bit, as one poster above mentioned, has a central plate that is rounded and smooth to keep the joint of the snaffle from poking into the roof of the mouth. The Turtle Top also has arms that provide some bar relief:

Turtle Top Tactio loose ring

3 Likes

No way am i tossing a western saddle up on my 17hh horse at my age. lol! I have a friend that does western dressage and loves it :slight_smile:

1 Like

The dentist said her teeth are that of a 28-29 year old, but she is only 20. I was surprised too. I asked if it was time to change feed and he said no, that I have a couple of years before that happens.

1 Like

Has this horse had power tool dental maintenance for years on end?

There could have been an issue with the enamel or something like that that would cause the teeth to erode so quickly.

1 Like

No idea. I have only had her 2.5 years. Her teeth have been done twice in that time. The dentist that just came out for this issue said she should have them done every six months now because the very back molars are erupting unevenly or something (again, not familiar with the terms, but that is how i understood it). She had been on an 18 month schedule while i had her, per the prior dentist.

Thank you all for your kind suggestions. I am going to go over all of this with my trainer and see what we want to try. I really appreciate everyone’s help!

1 Like

Have you tried any leather bits? I’ve ridden some horses in something like this as an alternative to a metal bit.

Probably depends on temperament and willingness to listen, but it seems to be a good solution to a problem like yours. I hope you figure something out!

2 Likes

Is everyone sure she is only 20?

3 Likes

It’s called a bit lifter, the OP could also just purchase one.