Unlimited access >

Bit Loops Don't Stay on Full Cheek Bit?

I just got a new (to me) full cheek snaffle bit last night, and I went to pop it on the bridle only to find the metal ‘arm’ pieces that make up the full cheek are too short for me to get my bit loops onto.

My bit loops fit fine on my other full cheek bits, and as far as I know come in a ‘one size fits all’.

Is this a common thing? Is the bit purposefully made for use without bit loops, or is there just something I am missing?
:confused:

I’ve only had this issue with pony sized bits, but sometimes you can just put the bit keeper on below the keeper on the cheekpiece. You can potentially find smaller bit loops, too, but I’ve never seen any specifically marketed as smaller-- I just know that some of the sets I have are smaller than others.

I have been known to improvise bailing twine keepers. Not fancy, but they work in the interim.

Just move them down on the bridle to where the bit attaches instead of the normal place where the hooks are.

Thanks for the tips, guys! I must have found the only pony-arm-sized 5" snaffle on the planet.

I tried to move the loop down lower on the cheek piece to where the bit attaches, but it doesn’t sit still, the loop (on the cheek piece section) is so large the loop wiggles around and pops off the arm anyway.

I am thinking I can snug up the loops with a rivet, but in the interim binder twine (the miraculous thing!) will be my friend.

What fordtraktor said. I’ve had to do that with pony size full cheeks (two different bits/bridles/ponies).

Just use rubber bands to snug it up (the little black ones you use for manes). More attractive than twine or rivets.

Not all full cheek “arms” are created equal…even without going into pony-sizes. Sounds like you got one with shorter arms.

[QUOTE=fordtraktor;8502845]
Just use rubber bands to snug it up (the little black ones you use for manes). More attractive than twine or rivets.[/QUOTE]

THAT IS AN AWESOME IDEA! Thanks!