Bit recommendations for horse heavy on the forehand

Hi everyone! I’m looking for bit recommendations for my mare who can get a bit heavy on the forehand and runs through the bit.

We’ve been doing lots of transition/lateral work and using voice/seat to downward transition. But once we start jumping, especially at a show (we do low level jumpers), she really just takes over.

We currently ride in a slow twist full cheek snaffle. We’ve tried an elevator bit and she hated it. I don’t trust my hands enough to try any bit that would be considered “harsh” in the wrong hands.

If you don’t trust your hands that rules out most of the options I would consider in this situation. I would be looking at a Waterford or a Pelham with 2 reins, but neither of those are bits I’d want used by someone without an independent hand. Your slow twist falls in that category for me too TBH.

Has your trainer ridden this horse, and do they have the same problems? You already know it’s a training issue either way, just a matter of what approach to take.

6 Likes

Liz Halliday has a bitting series - you can find videos on FB and Instagram I think. She is probably one of the most knowledgable resources on bitting out there, especially for finding something effective for a strong horse while keeping them comfortable in their mouth.

1 Like

My trainer rides her and has the same problem. She rode her in a Waterford the other day and she said that helped. I have been way more conscious of my hands since I’ve started riding her. But I’m definitely not at the point where I trust my hands 100% of the time, especially when we’re jumping. Her previous owners rode her in a corkscrew which I refuse to try.

She’s already improved with training so just looking to see if there’s other bit options out there to try in the meantime. Not looking for a bit to fix the problem.

I will definitely check that out. Thank you!

1 Like

If she’s too heavy while jumping, she’s not fit enough to jump that height yet. 99% of heavy/strong horses are that way because they’re lacking fitness. Go back to dressage, work her long and low to build her topline and hind end, and come back to this height in 3-5 months.

10 Likes

I agree. Now, I have 0 problem with bitting up for shows and special occasions (like hunting), but IME most horses that are rushy/heavy at home are either unfit or lacking basic flatwork. Usually both. Even the worst conformed animals should be able to pop around a little course calmly and without pulling.

A lot can be accomplished on the flat, but there is something to be said for low, technical gymnastics. I wish I could find the article but I believe it was Beezie who would give Big Eq and other high level junior riders clinics at 2’3" and absolutely kick their backsides. If you can’t do it over speed bumps, there is more work to be done before putting the fences up. This would also give OP time to work on their hands, doing no reins and no stirrup trips through grids and working on the flat.

ETA to the bit question specifically - I do like a Waterford for horses like this when needed, or maybe a Myler with hooks. With really good hands come more options for specific instances, but sometimes just switching to a double joint or really soft bit actually does the trick while the rider reinstalls the buttons - bigger isn’t always better.

8 Likes

Try a rubber single jointed Pelham with curb strap. You can get a converter to ride off one pair of reins or do the traditional double reins. It’s horse friendly while not being a doormat.

6 Likes

I do appreciate everyone taking the time to respond. Fortunately I have a very competent trainer that is helping so I’m good on the training front. Yes, we do grid work, pole work, long and low, lateral working, etc. and when I say we do low level jumpers, I’m talking LOW level. Was just looking to see if anyone specifically had a non-harsh bit recommendation for this scenario.

2 Likes

As you are making progress with the schooling and exercises you are doing, I’d give yourself more time and practice rather than getting a stronger bit. You’ll end up with a better trained athlete!

10 Likes

I’ll say it - I think a slow twist is pretty darn harsh. I don’t think it is a bit you can fairly school a horse on the flat in, since any time they reach for the contact they get punished by the bit. That’s not to say it doesn’t have a place - I have used a slow twist as a show bit option for several horses - but I don’t love them for long term schooling on the flat.

Honestly I’d switch to a softer mouthpiece in a Pelham, and maybe a Waterford for jumping. It really depends on what your horse responds best to: tongue or bar or lip pressure. I had a freight train that flatted in level 1 Myler and jumped best in a Happy Mouth Mullen Pelham with leather curb strap and two reins - clearly it took some fiddling to find what he liked! (And yes, he got exponentially better with good dressage work).

11 Likes

Not a bit suggestion, but maybe give yourself something to hold onto while holding the contact without pulling back. I’d avoid a grab strap since that will put your hands in your lap. I hold on to the martingale. It takes two to pull and the horse will always win.

My horse is the same way and I’m a lot like you - terrified of bitting up but wanting to be effective. It’s okay to want equipment to help make your job easier! Bits are super important and greatly affect your ride, so starting there is an obvious choice.

I find the more “forward” I am with my hands, the less I incite the pulling match with my horse. This also makes me trust my hands more as I won’t be pulling. Don’t get me wrong: my reins are still short and I’m sitting up with my elbows bent. Grabbing on the martingale is a nice “relaxer” for me because I have something I can hold on to not that’s not my horse’s face when we get speedy. When he can’t lean on my hands, he has to find his own balance (assuming I’m assisting properly with my seat but that’s whole ‘nother issue).

2 Likes

Do you have any specific Pelham recommendations? The options are overwhelming! And do you ride with two reins or a converter?

I need to try this! It’s funny because my trainer often to tells me to “let go” right before we get to a jump to let my horse figure it out. And it always works haha.

1 Like

Short shank, two reins if you can, and a broken mouthpiece softens the curb action. I like double joints, but as someone suggested above, lots of horses appreciate a rubber single joint.

1 Like

A pulley gag snaffle. Old style, with two sets of reins, one on the gag, one on the snaffle ring. It’s just a snaffle until the horse goes to tow, putting the mouthpiece onto the bars of the mouth, and towing from there. When they do that, the gag rein is automatically into play, and shifts the bit onto the corners of the mouth instead. You do nothing, just hold the reins normally. The horse raises the bit onto the corners of the mouth when he goes to put the bit onto the bars to tow you… so he corrects himself from doing this. You ride normally, do nothing but hold the reins and ride forward. The horse corrects himself from leaning on your hand and towing. The mouthpiece of the bit can be whatever the horse likes, metal, plastic or composite covered, soft and inviting. As long as the horse doesn’t go to tow, it just acts as a regular snaffle. Works great.

4 Likes

Soft mouthpiece, little bit of leverage.
https://www.oldmillsaddlery.com/en/us/Happy-Mouth-Bits-Happy-Mouth-Gag-Bit-3-Ring-Mullen-Mouth/m-44693.aspx

How would you describe the shape of your horses mouth/tongue? Is it roomy? Or is the muzzle small? Large vs average tongue?

My gelding has a small muzzle and big tongue. He likes the Bombers Classic Dee McHardy bit for flatting, stays very consistent in the contact. For jumping bigger, or at a show I put him in a level 2 Myler. That little bit of a port gives his tongue lots of room.
Once a month or so I’ll do a quick flat in a pelham (mullen mouth with a small port), always two reins so that I can adjust how much I’m using the curb rein.

I agree that any sort of twist is fairly harsh.

3 Likes

i have a horse that acted very similar, would get on her forehand and run. i had been riding her in a slow twist copper mouth, and she just wouldnt ever listen. with the help of my trainer, we tried her in a happy mouth pelham and she almost never leans on the bit anymore. pelhams are easy to learn to use, and you dont constantly have to be putting pressure on the horse because theres two seperate reins. i would recommend trying to go less pressure with the bit, but just a suggestion that worked for me!

4 Likes

Definitely a training issue but i’ve ridden a couple horses in ring bits and it really helps horses that are heavy in the hands at least for a bit. With horses that require bitting up it’s important to switch bits every now and then (go both lighter and harsher) their mouths definitely get used to them and it’s also a good way to check your training and see if there are any holes. Unless its a soft one, a horse should never permanently stay in a bit.

1 Like