Unlimited access >

bit suggestions for my jumper?!

Hello! First post so im sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I have a 8 year old tb/Dutch wb gelding who is quite strong becuase of his size and mine but also has a sensitive mouth, I am looking fir a leverage bit that isnt too harsh but enough for my small size to pick him up. Thanks :slight_smile:

Do you have a trainer? He or she would probably be better “equipped” (ha ha) to answer this and have a couple different bits you can try. What are you riding him in now?

Agree with above. A trainer or someone who is more familiar with your horse’s way of going and your riding capabilities will provide much better bit suggestions than COTH members could. If you are on your own, perhaps provide a video if you are brave enough to open yourself up to criticism :wink: (I am not so brave :lol:).

However, some COTHers are very educated in terms of horse bits and are a valuable resource. If you have questions about specific bit mechanics in order to decipher/narrow down your choices this forum is a good place to come! (in supplement of a trainer/knowledgeable horseman of course). I don’t have a trainer at the facility I board at and have found bitting threads on COTH very useful (although I have never started one myself). You will get a lot of members digging deeper and telling you that the bit is not the solution and provide helpful flat/jumping exercises to combat the root of the problem as well.

For a strong but sensitive mouthed jumper, I personally like bits that provide the option of using two reins. For lifting the head I prefer a gag with two reins. The mouth type of the gag will depend on your horse. My guy likes a plain single jointed mouth piece. Whether you use rolled leather or rope cheek pieces will also depend on your horse. I prefer rolled leather for my guy because he is very responsive and the rope cheek pieces are too abrupt for him.

Good luck!

Currently trying to find a new coach but need a switch of bit. Ive had him in a dutch gag happy mouth but trying to find something else. Currently in a D ring french link as had the winter off jumping but not starting back up and he is strong again.

Read my last reply :slight_smile:

So does he curl his head under or invert it up? In what ways are he sensitive?

My boy can’t stand things that are loose in his mouth (loose rings of any kind, elevators, most jointed bits) so to jump we have a few options. A mullen pelham with a curb chain guard (he doesn’t like the open chain or how is jingles, so between the guard and the lip strap he is generally happy) or his favorite a mickmar combination bit. He has also gone in a slow twist but it did not work long term (he fixated on that rather than the job at hand).

For both bits I use two reins, figure 8 with the pelham, plain caveson with the mickmar (b/c of the port). In both cases, I use these bits to encourage lifting his shoulders without lifting his head as he is a known head flipper. A gag will lift the head (and can help lift the shoulders as well, depending on the horse)

ETA: what is the reason for changing from the dutch gag? (my sensitive boy hated it, didn’t last 5 minutes the last time I tried it, but it moved too much for his liking)

Would just like to try something else and see what woukd work better, he is sensitive in a way that he cant use a curb mouth peice or a Mullen.

Wonder bit?

My sensitive but stronger horse jumps in something similar to this
http://www.medhorses.nl/Images/ProductImages/Lami-Cell_Magic_System_Pelham_dubbelgebroken_f1c2fc1d-98ea-4205-93a1-3186db3049bf.jpg

short shanked pelham, double jointed (middle joint is thick like the rest of the mouthpiece)

My strong guy goes really well in this. http://www.englishhabit.com/images/products/detail/464325.jpg

It has just enough leverage to be effective without making him angry or being too harsh. You can get bits like this one with more rings on the bottom if you want more leverage.