Unlimited access >

Bits - Ebay

Curious if anyone has purchased bits off ebay. Seems to be a more UK seller based thing. I am looking for a specific bit, which is super kind, but yet hard to get here in Canada. I see there are quite a few with decent pricing on ebay.

Its an Eggbutt Snaffle french link with Lozenge. Korsteel makes one, which I own, and squeaks so bad, no matter how many times I oil it.

There are quite a few on Ebay, but it obviously makes me nervous, plus they are not name brand, not sure if that makes a difference when purchasing a bit.

I love the BR version, but no one has stock.

Thoughts on bits purchased on ebay?

I’ve had mixed experiences, including buying Neue Schule knock-offs from UK sellers. The horse I bought it for, who had gone in a genuine NS with his previous owner, had an allergic reaction to the knock-off that caused discoloration in the corners of his lips. Before the discoloration appeared and made me realize something was wrong, he was sticking out his tongue occasionally (also a new thing). The seller did allow me to return the bit for a refund though! I have free return shipping through PayPal so I didn’t lose money on shipping back to the UK either.

I also bought a genuine NS from a private seller who advertised it as a 5.25” snaffle but sent me a 5” bradoon. There was lots of back and forth on that one, with her refusing to acknowledge the difference, but I eventually got my money back through eBay.

1 Like

With some bits Ebay is our only hope.

Like the Wellep bits. I have not seen one for sale for years, but previously I got several through Ebay, though not everyone matched the picture on the ad.

I also got LOTS of stainless steel Weymouths and eggbutt bradoons. I was trying to get a full range of sizes since I no longer own a horse, and I knew if I wanted to use a double bridle at a lesson stable I had to provide the double bridle myself. Some of these bits were “used” but did not show it, some I had to clean off when I got them.

My bit box overflows. I am ready for almost any size lesson horse I run into.

Hmm that’s weird, I have two of the Korsteel eggbutt lozenge and have had zero squeaking.

Personally, IDC about name brands when buying bits. I’ve never had a problem buying a bit off Ebay, either. Make sure the seller has a good rating (like 95%+).

2 Likes

I just wasn’t sure about the metals, but there are a few I quite like on there.

Oddly, they are 5 years old these bits, but only started squeaking in the last year. Not sure why. I’ve oiled them a few times now, but I’ve given up.

The sellers I was looking at have sold over 1000 of that one bit, didn’t know if that was a legit number, but all good ratings on the ones I was looking at.

I’ve purchased both a NS knockoff and Myler knockoff from England. Both came relatively quickly, and came as described. Even with the currency exchange and the shipping, it was less than half the price of the brand name. My coach has the brand name ones and I can’t tell the difference. I did buy the wrong size for the NS, but instead of sending it back, I was able to sell if to a girl in my barn for what I paid for it.

2 Likes

I’ve had great success buying bits, and selling them on eBay. They were name brand and exactly as described, at a great price.

2 Likes

It probably depends on what you are looking for. I got a particular type of loose ring snaffle as a prize from a show and love it for my mare. I had so much troubl finding a more when the time came (I got the bit before she was even born). I ended up buying two that were very close but not quite the same - closest I could get - off eBay and never looked back.

2 Likes

Ask the seller to photograph the bit next to a ruler to verify size.

3 Likes

I’m in a bit sale/trade group on FB, and there’s a lady with a whole website for new and used bits who posts. I know she’s mentioned eggbutt lozenge bits before, so worth a shot. She’s in England:

The FB group is here if you want to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/543698615653293

2 Likes

This site has been great for all sorts of stuff and I just ordered a €45 NS style bit from them: https://hypostore.com/horse/bits.html

1 Like

I’ve bought majority of mine on eBay and never had an issue other than a lady selling her pony bit marketed as horse. I however got a refund and kept the bit and sold it lol she wouldn’t agree to take it back and refund so eBay made her LOL