Unlimited access >

Bizarre protrusions on horse's tail bone - fungus?

My pony has been dealing with some flakiness on his tail bone. I started spraying Banixx in his tail and that seems to be clearing up the flakes nicely. However, I was taking a closer look at his tail bone today and noticed some really bizarre looking protrusions. A few of them are these long skinny noodle-looking things, and then there is one shorter, thicker piece. Here is a link to the photos: https://imgur.com/a/McxwmjH

The first two photos show the thicker protrusion and the last photo shows the long skinny ones. Has anyone ever seen something like this before?

Not exactly (especially the thicker looking one), but I have seen some gnarly splinters in the tail before.

Could it be the result of photosensitization? I recently saw a cow that looked like it was growing fingernails out of its back due to a photosensitivity reaction induced by ingestion of a pasture weed.

The first one kind of looks like a tick.

2 Likes

I’ve not seen that before. Perhaps @Ghazzu has seen something similar?

The first image does look like a tick but the last image is so bizarre. Could these be melanomas?

My guess would be some kind of sebaceous cyst. My horse would get something similar looking on her back.

1 Like

OP can you give it a little clip to clean up the area and a scrub with an antimicrobial and get us fresh pics? It’s so interesting and odd.

Qualifications: Watching all the Dr Pimple Popper episodes.

I agree it looks like a cyst or something of that nature.

Skin stuff makes me squeamish and I still can’t watch a cyst being popped. I board with a derm and she said forget the visuals, the smell is even more memorable.

nvm looked again at the last pic…thought it might it be a tick but maybe not!

That is WEIRD! Almost like an ergot that was terrible with directions. I guess it is firmly attached? Sorry, not much help.

I wonder if it could be a sarcoid…? They can look pretty weird!

If it is waxy and you can dislodge it by picking at it…it might be some kind of keratosis. I had a pony that would get this in winter when I wasn’t washing his tail.

4 Likes

yeah the big one is definitely not a tick

I’m thinking this might be the case. I haven’t tried to dislodge the big one as it seems pretty firmly attached. The skinny long ones are quite brittle. I tried to break one off and it snapped like piece of dry spaghetti…lol. The base of it is still in his tail though.

Second/third?-ing the keratosis suggestion. Do they seem painful at all if you gently poke/pull around the base of them?

Is she grey? Could be the start of melanoma. My grey had them all over his tail, and some did start leaking puss of of them.

Looks like some sort of keratinaceous structure.

2 Likes

It does not seem to be painful, though I haven’t tried to scrape too hard at it. He is palomino not a grey, and it doesn’t seem to match photos of melanomas I’ve seen so I’m hopeful that’s not the case here! I think some type of keratosis may be the answer here. Anyone know of a possible solution this? It’s pretty freaky looking, especially the long pieces so I’d love to get rid of it for good.

I’d try a benzoyl peroxide shampoo.

1 Like