Black fence paint

We’re looking to paint the newly installed fence black. I used the asphalt paint from TSC last time (this: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gardner-gibson-fence-post-black-beauty-asphalt-fence-paint-475-gal) and it’s crap–it’s worn very poorly.

Considering options from here:

https://www.lexpaint.com/black-paints

(Either the second or the third listed)

But open to other suggestions. Would also love to hear how these lex paints hold up, if anyone has used. How often do you repaint?

Have thought about a solid stain, but there are posts that were previously painted white in another area that will also be going to black, so don’t think stain will work.

whatever black Penrod uses lasts a long time… I do not see that they sell the paint but it be worth a call to ask

http://www.penrodfence.com/Fence-Painting

Thanks! It looks like they use the basic fencecoat stuff. Good feedback!

Several people in the thread below said they were happy with the Lexington paint (which is available at Tractor Supply). Maybe they can update with their current opinions.

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/f…ck-fence-paint

Call Lexington Paint Company. They have great customer service and I found them very helpful. If you need a lot of paint you can also order directly from them. They have 55 gallon barrels of paint available but we just had them ship use the 5 gallon size, as we didn’t want to handle the 55 gallon stuff. We needed 17 of the 5 gallon buckets to complete our project and we didn’t want to have to worry about trying to source that through Tractor Supply. It also came out a bit cheaper to get it from the paint company.

We used Lexington’s Fence Coat paint and it looks great. I had originally though we would use their Fence Pro paint, which is more expensive, but Lexington Paint told me that for my application the Fence Coat would do a better job. It is an acrylic paint, so is a pain to deal with when painting, but it looks great and the new paint is sticking like glue. I have a few spots where the horses put their teeth on the newly painted fence and I was happy to see that the black paint did not come off the old white stuff. There are spots where the horses chipped it down to the bare wood, but no white paint shows. I think this is a good indication that the new paint will hold up well.

We did do a lot of prep with our white fences. Power wash and sanding were done before painting. Good luck with your project. We are thrilled with how ours turned out.

We have used the black paint that you linked for many years. Yes, it does fade over time and we repaint our fencing every 3-4 years. It seems to wear more near the roads and we think its from all the salt they hammer down during the winter months. We buy it by the large drum (205L) and it lasts us for the one season of painting.

I do think whatever paint or stain you use, it will have to be re done over time. The heat and UV are just too hard on anything…

@stb excellent, thank you! I’ll give them a call. We’re in the 65 ish gallon range for this project, but handling a 55 gallon drum does not sound fun. What about your application made the fence coat better over the pro? We’re painting some brand new fence (looks like I need to wait a few months on that to let the boards dry down a little) and some stuff that was new boards on old painted white posts that should be good to go now. I can’t WAIT to have it all one color and black!

@DiamondJubilee which paint from the list are you using? Fading is fine, can totally live with that! The asphalt paint from TSC peels like crazy and it’s largely gone from the short bit of fence we painted not even two years ago :mad: So much work, and so frustrating to see it gone so quickly. Thanks!

We painted our front fences black before we sold the old farm (looked nice). That stuff, no matter what brand, is nasty to work with. If you use a sprayer, you’ll have to dilute it and you still won’'t be able to reuse the sprayer.

What paint did you use, and what sprayer? We’re hoping to spray with a Graco x7.

Sorry, the Fence Coat. It does not peel at all but does fade in spots. We applied with spray gun to do all posts and oak fencing. I would drive the tractor with a skid/plywood and the paint on it. Had a generator on it as well and plugged the spray gun into that and I would slowly drive along the fence line while my husband sprayed. Need to do on a windless day! it is messy, but we have thousands of feet of fencing and posts!

https://systemequine.com/for-your-pr…r-fence-paint-

We reuse our sprayer. Easy to clean up using that paint. Its a really good quality one that costs thousands of dollars (we borrowed it from our painter - my husband is a contractor and has painter subs).

That sounds doable, @DiamondJubilee, thanks!! :smiley:

Use DiamondJubilee’s sprayer. Ours was not reusable.

Good luck with the project! Chase the lizards away or they will become stuck. Vegetable oil can remove tar paint from lizard feet. Go ahead, ask me how I know, lol! We named him Raul and released him the next day. :lol:

2 Likes

@Simkie, the very helpful woman at Lexington Paint told me that the Fence Coat was a better paint for my application, which was a fence that had been previously painted white and had lots of peeling and cracking. Bonus points for her for steering me to a lower priced product when I was perfectly willing to spend more. She warned me to be careful with overspray, as this paint really does not come off of whatever it lands on. She wasn’t kidding, either. I still have a few black bushes around here.

Our paint was applied with a sprayer. Our painter did say that he had to use a particular spray tip, and that it would clog periodically. He also used a lot of lacquer thinner for clean up, but he did re-use the spray tip (the project took multiple days) and he certainly didn’t ruin his sprayer.

We used a Graco x5 with the FenceCoat. Our set-up is very much like DiamondJubilee’s except we used a flatbed trailer with the sprayer and a generator pulled along the fenceline. Can’t say how well it will hold up since it’s recently painted, but I love the look. You will want to wear a respirator if you use a sprayer.

Rockstar. I’m super excited the x5 worked for you. Really thought about that one but liked the wheels on the x7. We’ve got a little trailer and a little generator, so should be covered. Can’t wait to get this project going…although the respirators might be the hardest part!

My painter wore a respirator as well. The paint smells awful and the smell is strong. Also, he covered any bare skin with Vaseline, because that paint sticks to skin.

WOW :eek: Okay, that’s definitely a good tip. Thank you!

yes, ask your husband to show you how to apply the paint, that should keep you clean

1 Like

That is…just not a good idea :lol: :lol: :lol: Much better to be on the other end, ha!

1 Like