Unlimited access >

Black Hunter Bridles?

There’s some really reasonably priced black, fancy stitched hunter bridles on the Derby House website. Ships from the UK, inexpensive flat price shipping and timely!

2 Likes

If your main goal is the local hunters (or fox hunting) I would not deliberately buy a black hunter bridle. For the best look for the hunter ring, I would go for a traditional dark havana brown hunter bridle and a darker brown girth. A black bridle and girth will only accentuate the black saddle.

If you primarily event, then by all means shop around for matching black tack, which would look lovely in the setting of that discipline.

2 Likes

I don’t know anything about this brand…

2 Likes

I just bought a new Ventech girth and was very disappointed to find that they are no longer made in the US, but rather assembled in Mexico.

Boo, Professional’s Choice!

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! I ended up trying a SmartPak dressage bridle that I absolutely hated, before ordering the ExionPro bridle that @Bristol_Bay linked above.

Even before oiling it, the leather quality is lovely and it seems to fit my TB’s tricky “not quite horse sized/not quite cob sized” head nicely. I think I am going to ask our local leather repair guy to remove the flash attachment but other than that I really like this one!

Photo for tax.

6 Likes

Which quality of leather did you get?

I love black tack on a grey. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I got the basic vegetable tanned leather. I wanted something nice enough for local shows but not too nice to be an everyday schooling bridle too. The price seems fantastic for the quality!

1 Like

Ok, one more update because this is the first time I’ve had all the black tack on him and I’m in love.

(Don’t mind his awkward stance… he needed to pee. :sweat_smile:)

10 Likes

Matchy-matchy! Very handsome boy!

Don’t order from this company.

I’ve seen a black fancy stitched of theirs and the leather wasn’t great, so I ordered a havana hunter bridle in upgraded leather.

The package came DHL from India. It’s really cheap and the hardware is flimsy. Their return policy is that you have to return it in original packaging with a receipt and a letter of explanation which, if they accept it, they will grant a refund IF YOU SHIP IT AT YOUR EXPENSE BACK TO INDIA.

When will I learn? :woman_facepalming:

4 Likes

Oooof. I didn’t pay any attention but mine was shipped from India. I’m used to bargain basement bridles so I don’t have any complaints about the quality of this one. I would definitely hesitate to order again though, now knowing their return policy and that their customer service can only be contacted via WhatsApp. Sketchy.

1 Like

@Amy3996 for the price, are they worth it? I’ve seen a lot of people recommend them simply because they are cheap and decent for the quality; they are running a huge sale right now and I was thinking about picking up a few things.

1 Like

I’ve only ever ordered one bridle from them - the ExionPro that’s linked above. I got the basic leather. For just over $100 shipped, it’s a really nice bridle. I’ve only had it a couple of weeks it’s broken in nicely with just a couple of quick wipe downs with conditioner. My horse’s head can be hard to fit but this seems to work well for him. I also liked that I could pick hardware that matched the rest of my tack.

I’ve heard from friends about this company. It’s not worth it, don’t order from them!!

Here’s the response to my inquiry about returning the bridle:

“We would like to know why you are unhappy with the tack.

Apart from it, exchange or return is a costly affair. You will have to bear return international shipping charges and also the custom duty if imposed.

Rather we suggest you please sell it there only and retain the money with you.

After that, you can purchase a new one from us in the desired size.

Have a nice day

Sudhir”

Yuck. Definitely won’t be purchasing from them again. I debated between cob and horse size. Now I’m really glad I went with horse because the cob would’ve been too small and impossible to return, apparently.

1 Like

I posted pics of a Henry James black bridle here: Please help a hunter princess find a butter-soft dressage bridle

I’m very happy with it and especially love the reins!

1 Like

Reporting back because I actually ended up ordering something…on sale, I got a bridle w/reins, brownband, and another set of reins for $100ish. Quality wise, it’s definitely not high end but for the price I’m not complaining, and I feel like it might improve once broken in and conditioned. It shipped quickly enough. I would order from them again, honestly!

1 Like