Unlimited access >

Blanket Help - Rambo Tech Duo?

I am driving myself crazy with indecision about blankets for my 28 year old mare who I have had for a year now.

Last year, I ended up overblanketing her under the misguided view that she was ribby and 27 so naturally she needed a bit more warmth than my other mare, who I tend to blanket lightly. Turns out that was not the case and she developed rain rot as a result. So I’m determine to have a better blanketing protocol this year.

My thought is that she needs (1) a new sheet with a full neck cover because we end up having a number of mild days with rain, and (2) a new 100g with full neck cover for most other days.

We already have a Wug sheet that fits great, but just isn’t the best for wet days. And we already have a 150g stable blanket that I can use under a 100g to make a medium if I need it. And I have a heavy that fits her well, too.

If I’m not buying Wugs, I like the Horseware cut with the surefit neck, but I think Amigos are too heavy so my options are Rhino or Rambo.

She likes to roll, but otherwise is not tough on blankets.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to:
Option A. A Rhino sheet and Rhino 100 gram, which together would cost $470.
Option B. The Rambo Tech Duo, which is a 50g turnout, plus the airmax liner, plus a 150g liner, which costs $500. (If I order from Dover, it’s a 100g liner not a 150g liner.)

So cost wise, about the same.

Not sure how heavy a 50g turnout is relative to a sheet. And no idea what fill the airmax liner is analogous to.

Oh and the Rhino sheet this year is berry colored and my golden oldie is a chestnut. Sigh.

Any thoughts on the Rambo Tech Duo? I know what I’m getting with the Rhinos, but not so much on the Tech Duo and its components.

A 50g turnout blanket is very light and some people use them instead of 0g rainsheets as there’s a bit of fill in case they get a little chilly from the rain. Horseware states that the Airmax liner is the equivalent to 50g so that puts the Rambo Tech duo has the 50g turnout, Airmax 50g liner, and the 150g liner.

Also just wanted to add that there are other colors for 0g Rhino rainsheets, one is a grey plaid with traditional neck and a wug style in either black check/plaid or a blue/aqua. Neither of these include a hood but the grey plaid one has a matching waterproof 0g hood/neck cover in case rainsheet color was a dealbreaker.

I would personally go with the Rambo tech duo since you have more customization for blanket weight. Also, Adam’s Horse and Pet Supplies is having a closeout for $400 on certain sizes of the Rambo Tech Duo if you end up going that route. If your horse isn’t one of those sizes on the closeout sale, they sell some other sizes on the normal product page for the same price. Adam’s does sell the Tech Dup with the 150g liner and not the 100g like Dover though.

I’m not familiar with the Rambos but Schneider’s makes an 80gm turnout in few different fit options if you’re open to other brands!

If the money is the same (or very close to it) I would go with the Rambo instead of the Rhino. I have both and like them both, but the Rambo is Horseware’s premium product and it is a bit nicer in finish.

@scislandsprite thanks for posting the deal on the Rambo Duo. Since my horse wears a 72 I was able to snag one this morning.

2 Likes

@scislandsprite Thanks for the feedback on the 50g!

With that info, I ended up getting the Tech Duo from Dover. I am not 100% sure of her size so couldn’t commit to the final sale to get the closeout price from Adams (which is too bad because I try to support Adams whenever I can as a woman-owned company). I found a coupon from Dover that got me $50 off.

Can’t wait for it to arrive!

1 Like

I bought the Tech Duo last spring because I was taking care of my own horse in a milder climate and the waterproofing was giving out on my other 100g and we had a lot of rain.

I haven’t used the airmax liner yet but I have owned the cooler for several years. It is somewhere between a cooler and a drying sheet. I’ve also used it as a stable sheet. It’s mesh / honeycomb type construction with smooth outer is breathable but creates enough air pockets I think to be about equivalent to 50g. But the bonus is that if you use it and it’s too much especially for a humid area, it is more breathable and wicking than the nylon material.

I already had 100g and 200g liners. I treated the outer layer basically equivalent to a sheet. If it was too hot for it, then the horse just got wet if he wanted to be outside (he had shelter and stall access). Or perhaps I’d put on my Rhino wug sheet instead.

Slightly off topic, but has anyone used the Rambo Sport cooler? Looking for something appropriate for winter in south Florida.

I haven’t, although there is a cooler thread that was just bumped up in the Horse Care topic so somewhere might know!