Unlimited access >

Blanket Question

Do people find 100g turnout blankets to be useful?

In the past, I’ve had sheets, mediums, and heavy blankets but my heavy insulator doesn’t fit my horse all that well so I currently have a high neck rainsheet (Horze) and a 250g medium (Rhino with Vari-layer).

However, I live in MA and was a little worried about only have the medium for very cold days and also what to do in the weather that is too cold for a sheet and too warm for a medium. Would it be worth buying a 100g to layer on top of the medium & use alone for in between days? For reference, my horse is an easy keeper old style Morgan who likely is not being clipped this year so I’m hesitant to go out and buy a true heavy weight turnout since I don’t know how much I’ll use it. Sorry for the ramble, I’m very indecisive about these things.

I find 100 grams to be HUGELY useful. It’s likely my most used blanket. I’ve found that if they need cover, a bit of fill is much better than a sheet. And absolutely, you can toss it over your medium for more warmth on those colder days.

I also wasn’t sure about the weight, but picked it up for my horses on a whim a lot of years ago. What a nice surprise, it’s great! Wouldn’t be without it!

9 Likes

Yes I totally agree. I am further south (MD) and they are the ones we use most.

1 Like

Yes that’s why I’m a little hesitant on using the sheet honestly since it’s really just a shell! Thanks!

Thanks everyone! I think I’m just going to go buy it now honestly before I change my mind again haha

4 Likes

I’m in the PNW. The big issue here is rain. We get months of rainy weather in the 4 to 8 or 9 Celsius range so 30s to 40s Fahrenheit, a few cold snaps of sun and frost, just below freezing, short periods of wet snow, and every few years a week or two of 10 below Celsius which would probably be like 20 F?

A 100 gram blanket is very useful here on an unclipped horse that has some shelter and basically needs protection from cold rain. When the rain is near to sleet I worry that a plain rain sheet might be too chilled.

3 Likes

Echoing everyone else, I find the 100g weight super useful. I’m in MD and my horses are unclipped. They pretty much live in unlined sheets or 100g most of the winter with the exception of the coldest nights. The 100g seems to keep the chill off just as well as the medium weight for “regular” cold weather, yet also doesn’t cook them as badly when the sun comes out and it feels warmer than predicted.

3 Likes

I live in the southeast and don’t use blankets a lot, but when I do it is most likely the 100 gm turnout that gets used. If it is raining and is cold enough that I don’t want my horse to get wet then it is probably cold enough that a little bit of fill would be welcome. I very rarely use a medium weight blanket - maybe once or twice a year. For most of our winter weather a 100 gram is perfect. I do also sometimes use a rain sheet, but again, if it is cold enough to need a sheet a 100 gm turnout is probably better.

1 Like

What I like even more is a NO FILL rain sheet AND an assortment of liners (100g, 200g)
Then you’ve got it all AND the liners are so easy to wash.

5 Likes

I was originally going to do this earlier this year but I learned right after that some of the boarding barns had a rule of no liner systems and/or stable blankets, hence why I have all turnout blankets! I definitely like the idea of the liners though!

What the reasoning for that?

1 Like

I’ve been at barns with this rule. Liners are a hassle. Swapping a single blanket is much easier than trying to change out a liner. There’s also a risk of slipping.

YMMV of course, but that’s why barns say no.

2 Likes

I think it just takes more time since you have to attach/detach the liners. Same with stable blankets as you have to swap it out for a turnout when they go out. I typically do my horse’s blanketing so probably not a huge deal though

1 Like

Another that finds 100gm blankets useful. I have a medium weight but only reserve it for really cold weather (teens and lower). For really cold weather (below zero), which is rare, I will layer the 220gm her rain sheet or the 100gm. I only do a bib clip on my mare so 100 gm is fine for most of our winter weather. I haven’t blanketed at all for a couple years. I haven’t decided about this year. If I do blanket, I need a new 100gm…we’ve worn the other one out.

Susan

1 Like

My 27 y.o. gelding has a complete wardrobe of Horze Avalanche blankets. They are the only ones that fit him properly. He is narrow in front and most blankets have a generous opening around the neck. I found some that fit nicely when I bought him 20 years ago. They were cheap, well made and half price. They went out of production, however. I tried all sorts of brands but most of the didn’t keep his shoulders dry. He was on pasture board so it does make a difference. I callled the store I ordered them from. Same owner and said she likes the Horze and they should fit him. She was using them on her horses.

He is 27 now, but doesn’t look or behave that old. We moved to a new barn that pampers the horses but also the owners. There are 20 stalls, 14 with attached runs. It was sold in March but the new owners haven’t changed much. Although there are little kids, goats and chickens, and a few boisterous dogs. They do blanket changes, as many as are needed each day. One of the more bizarre incidents was the day I was getting ready to leave and asked the BO what she wanted to use overnight. Mediuim with the attached hood which was hanging on the stall door. She got up from her chair, walked down to his stall and blanketed him. Summer included fly spray, fly masks, sunblock and fancy fly sheets.

He has a rain sheet when tempertures are above 50 or so. Two rain fleeces that are good in the 30s and 40s. I got two because I can put them in my washer. I have medium and medium with the hood which is what I use most of the time. I think they are 150. Heavy weight is good for when it’s down to below zero through the single digits. We are in southern Maine.

These blankets are extemely well made, 1200d, They have very long gussets, double adjustments on the chest. Huge tail flap. High neck with the gusset so the horse stays dry. I’ve managed to pick some up on sale. I gathered everything else and dropped it all off at the refuge barn.

Horze’s reputation for the quality of its products isn’t very good. They have changed their name to Equinavia.

1 Like

I also have found 100 gram blankets quite useful. . . but also - in addition to that, the Schneiders Teknofleece blankets fill the bill very well too for those days when a sheet is not enough and you don’t need anything as warm as a medium. Those things are the greatest things since sliced bread … they provide just enough warmth on those raw fall days when it’s below 40 degrees and maybe rainy - but if the sun comes out and the temps rise, they don’t get over heated as they are SO breathable.

2 Likes

My lineup is a rainsheet, a 100g stable sheet, and a 200g winter. It gives me the option of 0g, 100g, 200g, and 300g :slight_smile: my pony doesn’t get too cold so that’s all I need.

But layering can be a bit of a hassle lol.

1 Like

I got a ton of use out of my 150g SP Ultimate last year. It’s really handy for the in between weather when it’s too cold for a sheet but too warm for a mid.

Or, if you happen to have a wimpy, thin skinned TB like mine… layering because a 360g heavy isn’t enough on it’s own.

I snagged a 100g SmartTherapy Ceramic liner during their sale last week. Looking forward to trying that out since pony loves his BOT mesh sheet.

1 Like

100g is all I ever use.
21yo Hackney Pony, 18yo TWH & 7yo mini each have one.
Before this herd my 27yo TB had the same single blanket.

Smartpak used to sell a Thinsulate-lined blanket.
I LOVED the one I got for the pony & wish I still had it (he outgrew & I gave to a friend).
Sadly, no longer in the Smartpak catalog :tired_face:

I am in the Midwest where Polar Vortex temps happen.
I rarely blanket unless below-zero double digit temps happen for more than a day or two.
Even then, bankets are more for my ease of mind than for the horses.
They all test warm - brisket, flanks, ear tips - even before blankets go on.

Mini becomes a yak - already near an inch of fluff on him.
The others grow a good thick coat.
I had a WB bred in Queensland (tropic temps), then spent 6yrs in (Davie)FL.
He came to me in December with just a cotton sheet & showslick beneath that.
I had only a 78 blanket that gave him Plumbers Butt - until I could order the 84 he needed.
He never grew more than a plushy Winter coat & went unblanketed according to my standards for the whole 5yrs I had him.

I let the horse tell me if they need blanketing.
I expect others do the same.

1 Like

Yes I use it a lot, both as is and to create a heavyweight or a medium+ with liners. My boarding barn doesn’t change out liners usually, but I can adjust myself or set up the right blanket ahead of time. I found for my sensitive withers horses that a true heavy can make their withers sore, but this setup doesn’t feel quite so heavy on. It’s also not hard to remove a liner while keeping the shell on if it warms up during the day, if you use a system without surcingles. And it’s much easier to wash the components during the season than to wash blankets with more fill. The last part is the primary reason I have the 100g.

1 Like