Unlimited access >

Blanket Recs for Draft X

Looking for blanket recommendations for my big draft cross. 17.1hh perch cross, currently wears an 87 in Amigo/Rambo/weatherbeeta. The 87s are a bit too loose in the chest and gape open, but provide enough drop and room for his big shoulder. 84s are a better fit, but are tight on his shoulder and look like a miniskirt. What do you put your wide, wide horses in?

Try the Amigo XL in 84? Specifically designed for the big un’s with a bigger chest and shoulders.

1 Like

We had the same issue with our Appy who wears a 92/87 and built like a tank. This sheet has been great on him.

https://www.pleasantridge.ca/index.php/horsewear/rainsheets/canadian-horsewear-fenway-rainsheet-starts-shipping-september-15.html

1 Like

I love the Schneider Armourflex blankets for my draft X. They have a special Velcro adjustment for the neck and a longer drop for the extra wide body.
https://www.sstack.com/armorflex-warrior-ii-adjusta-fit-turnout-blankets/p/14081w/a1/100000000398/av1/100000007711/a2/100000000376/av2/100000008675/a3/100000000522/av3/100000008564/

1 Like

Seconding the Amigo XL

The SmartPak Oversize line is also good, modeled here by a full Belgian

1 Like

I have a 16.3 Irish Draught mare. Premier Equine blankets (the Buster cut in particular) fit her really well. She wears an 84". The shipping cost may put you off, but the prices on the blankets are excellent, and if you become a “member” (by giving them your email, which of course you do anyway when you buy something), you do get a discount.

Smartpak also carries some of the Premier Equine range too.

3 Likes

I really wanted to love my PE Buster for my Friesian cross. It’s a very nice blanket. But it’s not as generous in the neck opening / shoulder as the Amigo XL and is a smidge too snug on him. I have the detachable neck cover model. I’m curious if the attached neck styles might be roomier. My horse is also an 84 and the PE is plenty long and nice and deep in the drop.

Back with an update. Tried the Amigo XL and the PE Buster. Amigo was a smidge big in the neck and the PE fit well, so kept the PE. Thanks for the recs!

3 Likes