Unlimited access >

Blankets Tight Under The Neck

I like my Amigo XL a lot. The Busse blankets and SmartPak oversize line are nice too.

It’s a bit of trial and error. The Rhino wug and WB wug style about strangle my boy so I haven’t tried anymore of that style. I like the Premier Equine blankets too but the detachable neck buster style is just a little too tight under his neck. I might try an attached neck blanket next, since I clearly need more blankets :joy:

We’ll be away from the other horse this Spring. I hope I can put my horse with a friend who finds his flesh slightly less delicious at that point. He’s covered with wounds in different stages of healing from the short amounts of time when his neck cover has been pulled off.

The Wugs are a really good shape for him and I do think I’ll go back to those over the Spring and Summer! The attached neck cover options posted here might work too. I ordered a couple of the suggested sheets to try. The neck needs to be cut in such a way that the blanket shifts forward when he bends down to graze. Most designs seem to slide back and down on him when he lowers his head, then the neck hole is terribly tight when he stands back up. My horse has a sort of narrow chest, but a huge shoulder.

I actually purchased gross tasting spray after a particularly ugly throat bite, but I had second thoughts after picturing the staff at the stable getting it on their hands then accidentally rubbing it their eyes at 6AM. I accidentally did that with a similar product for dogs several years ago and it was memorable.

Heads up the Amigo XLs are on pretty good sale at Stateline Tack if you go through the sale email / text

1 Like

Thank you! Shoot. I purchased a medium through the Horseware site but if it works out I’ll still need a sheet. Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Update: the XL works! He can reach down to graze perfectly. I’ll have to have the belly straps shortened, but that’s totally doable. Thanks again!

4 Likes

I’m so glad to hear it! My experience is that these do need to be re waterproofed each season but that’s been the only issue I’ve had.

2 Likes