Unlimited access >

Blankets Tight Under The Neck

The answer to this might be (and hopefully is) very obvious, but trial and error is getting me nowhere. I have a thoroughbred who is not extremely high withered. I don’t think his shape is especially unusual.

Blankets/sheets that avoid digging into his withers all seem to really dig into his neck/chest where they clip in the front. It seems painfully tight.

The Rambo Optimo stable sheets are beautiful for indoors, but the turnout’s proportions do not work for him. Does anyone know of other bib-style options?

Wugs work pretty well, but I haven’t found a solution for neck coverage. Neck coverage is necessary due to a horse-shaped pirana he shares a pasture with. Do you know of any creative neck cover solutions for Wugs? He is pretty good at detaching his neck covers.

I’ve tried sizing up in a variety of different styles. That makes it worse since it slides back more and gets even tighter across his chest. Sizing down doesn’t solve the problem either.

Have you checked all the different fits of Schneider blankets? They have a couple fits for high withers.

https://www.sstack.com/blog/blanketing/horse-blanket-fit-guide/b/r0056/

Are these normal neck models? If so, a high neck model might be the solution

High necks are much better! I just haven’t found one with a full neck cover yet.

I’ve seen a couple listings for all-in-one turnouts but have yet to get my hands on one. Those might be a solution.

by “full neck cover” do you mean detachable, or attached? Schneider’s has a few attached necks, as to other brands. There was a thread in here recently on why there are so few turnouts with detachable necks

Hmn, that cutback wither style looks promising! I had never seen that before. Thank you!

2 Likes

I will say that I’ve seen some of the worst fits on cutback blankets on even just normal withers, much less high withers. I wouldn’t do it. That cut back area will dig into the spine

5 Likes

I’d actually think VTEK wither relief would be a better fit. The wither cutback one is for low or mutton withers, which is not your horse.

4 Likes

I used the VTEK wither relief for a lot of years, and it was WAY better than a normal cut. Then I found the high wither cut was even better

2 Likes

Either attached or removable would be totally fine, as long as his whole neck is covered. The high neck options I’ve tried (like the Wug) don’t cover enough. I’m checking out these Schneider’s options. Thank you!

Oh yes then, many brands have full neck attached blankets! Not all brands have full necks in anything but heavyweights, but I think some of Schneider’s mediums can be had with a full neck

Many of their blankets have lengthy warranty periods and from what I’ve heard, if you have any issue, they immediately mail you out a new one. Haven’t done so myself, but there’s that. I really like my Schneider blankets. I started using them 20 years ago when I was showing halter and have stuck with the brand ever since. No complaints.

1 Like

I use the high neck Rhino Wugs on my guy and use a neck cover when there’s weather. What I do is use a Kensington fly sheet (it has rings on it) and put that over the Rhino sheet. I jury-rig my neck covers so they’ll fit the fly sheet and use some bailing twine to attach. I have 2 fly sheets so I can just leave the neck cover attached to one fly sheet.

Screenshot_20240213_101053_Gallery

6 Likes

My horse has a similar issue. The Amigo XL line works well for him. It has a larger neck opening. It is designed for “big” horses so the drop and surcingles are also cut larger; which may or may not work for your horse.

It comes in a sheet and a medium, detachable matching neck covers sold separately and matching liners are available.

SmartPak also makes an “oversize” line of blankets with similar design features.

Busse also makes a line of “plus” size turnouts in a variety of weights with detachable hoods. The neck opening is very generous on those without being quite as generous in the drop. No US retailers for these; I ordered mine from Poland. Would not recommend for horses with super prominent withers but moderate height and width withers should fit nicely.

1 Like

For my higher withered horses I preferred a combo neck. I have liked both the Schneider Northlund and the Weatherbeeta Comfitec for blankets. For sheets I like the Schneider VTek. I prefer to not have extended or combo neck for sheets. I find both of these fit a variety of horses including those with more normal withers. I cannot speak to those that are barrel shaped with NO wither.
I generally own 2 sheets since I use them as base layers and like to wash them through the season. I have one medium standard neck with a detach a hood- I can wash all of those in my washer, and normally 2 medium combo necks that I need to send out to be washed. I currently have a heavy detach a neck but I am selling that as I have probably used it a total of 4 weeks in 3 years for a clipped horse. I prefer to layer multiple mediums. Weatherbeeta and Schneiders are my go to brands. Understand that the sizing is different between Weatherbeeta and Schneiders. My horse wears a 78 in Schneiders and 75 in Weatherbeeta/Rambo/Rhino.

I haven’t considered the XL line. I’m going to look into those, thank you. I haven’t heard of Busse. Off to google!

1 Like

ohh! I do have a fly sheet with liner rings and hood rings. That’s genius. At least for when I’m blanketing him myself.

1 Like

I have one with a large shoulder and big withers. I found the high neck caused rubs, because when he would lay down something about the cut of the high neck pulled across his chest. That was a Schneider’s. He’s now in a Schenider’s with an attached hood, and no rubs. All his other blankets have detachable hoods (so no high neck) and I’ve never had an issue with rubs. So just something to keep in mind with a higher neck cut.

Lol it’s not fancy but gets the job done :joy:

3 Likes

The Rambo Wugs fit the best for these horses. Amigo Wugs can be ok too if he’s narrow enough. Can you stick with the Wugs and just sacrifice a bit of hair to the piranha pasture mate? Or you could try some nasty tasting spray on the neck.

Otherwise, I have a SmartPak Ultimate with fully attached/incorporated neck and that also seems to help keep pressure off the front of the chest. A benefit of the Ultimate blankets is the 10-year guarantee and pretty fast replacements.