Unlimited access >

Blankets, with attach-able neck covers

I know, out of season, but the sales are on, plus you can never start preparing too early for the conundrum of winter blanketing – right? :grin:

What are your favorite brands of sturdy turnout sheets, with (no-insulation) neck covers that can be easily attached when needed? Neck covers made to attach to that particular blanket.

I like Schneider’s blankets. They have been serviceable and durable, and a fair value for the price.

But. Although Schneider’s sells neck covers and I like the way they are constructed, and although certain neck covers seem to be intended to match their major lines of blankets, the attachment rings do not match up between the neck covers and blankets. That is, for each of their major blanket groups, basically there is no easy clipping on of a neck cover, because there is no Schneider neck cover with rings that align with the blanket attachment rings.

For example, the Schneider’s blankets have no attachment ring at the top of the wither, to hold the neck cover in place when the horse lowers its head to eat or graze. The neck cover does have a ring in place to attach there, but the blanket does not. Also, the side attachment rings don’t match up in the placement between the neck cover and the blanket. Hope that makes sense. I should have taken photos over the winter!

I sent an inquiry to Schneider’s about this and never got an answer.

I have been coming up with creative solutions, bungees, cords, clips, etc. to wind around the attachment rings to attach the neck covers, in spite of the mis-matching rings. Doesn’t work very well.

This past winter, if I wasn’t there, the barn staff was unable to solve my jigsaw puzzle of clips and ties, even with written instructions with arrows. :grin: They managed to get the neck cover attached to the blanket, but it was wonky and not really doing the job. The neck cover had so many folds and loose sections not according to design, even the horse thought it looked silly.

I’ve been reluctant to add sewn-on attachment rings to the blankets as this could create leaks. It is the blanket that is missing the placement of attachment rings that would hold the neck cover in place. The neck cover rings seem to be well-placed, if they had a match on the blanket.

I have a few months to figure out what I’m missing, or switch brands – although I really don’t want to fork out for a whole new set of blankets. :grimacing:

I hope this makes sense. Any pointers on Schneiders are welcome. Any brands that are generally equivalent in function and price range, that do have this easy attachment puzzle solved, would be welcome.

Ugh! I agree that I like the ease of the Schneider’s clips (I have the Challenger line the neck cover). So easy for by BO to take on/off. I have not tried anymore their other neck covers or tried to mix and match their various lines with each other. Sure would be nice if clips and rings lined up. I just attached a Rambo hood to an Amigo blanket to tonight. I like that Horseware is mix and match even though they are pricey and their quality is not the same.
I did break down a buy a Rambo Duo on sale (still pricey) but I get a lot of use of of this set and my newer guy is too small for my late horses old clothes.
I’d probably pick Amigo, Rhino or Rambo if not Schneider’s. They attach fairly easily with Velcro tabs.

I like the SmatPak and Weatherbeeta neck covers and how they attach. With exterior rings and clips. My horseware stuff is good too but I don’t like the loops being on the inside of the sheet quite as well.

1 Like

I like Horseware also. I could use any neck (Amigo, Rhino) on any blanket (Amigo, Rhino) as needed. Until I got the Rhino Plus 100g which has velcro strips instead of rings. If you go with Horseware, pay attention to the neck attachment type - it’s not always obvious is photos and descriptions.

I much prefer the rings for ease of use. I have an idea to make a strap with rings that would go in the blanket Velcro so I can use other necks, but haven’t done it yet.

1 Like

I use Horseware rugs and except for the Plus line of blankets which use Velcro attachments, the neck covers are all interchangeable.

I also had a blanket repair place add hardware to a turnout sheet so I could put a hood on it. It was very inexpensive (maybe $15?) and has held up over about 7 years now. No trouble for the waterproofing or the integrity of the fabric because it is sewn into the trim on the underside by the lining.

3 Likes

Weatherbeeta is the easiest but their blankets don’t fit the super wide big shouldered QH types unless you size up.

Horseware are lined are easy as well.

I really like my Bow Horse blankets, but I think I’m the only one of the board that does. Super easy to remove the neck cover.

Horseware/Rambo turn out sheets and liners work very well for us.

@Renn_aissance that is really good to hear about the results from adding the ring. That may be the way to go for me.

The nearest blanket repair place that could do it is about 60 miles away. But it would be worth it to get that done over the summer.

None of the rings and clips line up on my Schneider blankets & covers. Maybe I can just get new rings that match all around.

1 Like

Someone on the other thread had a genius idea of putting a fly sheet on over the blanket, for the neck attachment points. The added bonus is that it seemed to keep her blankets in better shape in regards to geldings being geldings. :slight_smile:

1 Like