Blind filly--can/should I separate from mare?

Edited: I believe I posted this in the wrong forum. If someone can move this to the correct one, I would be very appreciative.

I have aquired a half-blind 2 year old filly. She is still with her mother and still nurses sometimes. I believe the nursing is a comfort thing. She is very dependent on her mother. With my other horses, I would simply keep the weanling in a separate area until she learned to be without her mother. My question is: can I do the same thing with this filly? I have been reading quite a bit about blind horses but there hasn’t been much about teaching them to be separated from their sighted friend.

Please know that I am not looking to keep her by herself all the time. I have three other horses. However, I would like for her to learn to be alone for short periods of time and learn to do things without the others. Should I just treat her the same as the other horses (with the understanding that things will take her longer than others?). Should I separate them?

Some short history on this filly (what I know anyway). Her mom is a BLM mustang. The gentleman who originally bought her had her broke to ride and he rode her. Then he got cancer and died. The horses were passed around from person to person and never to a “horse” person. Well-meaning people took these animals (which included a 6 month old stud colt) but these people had no experience with horses. Over time, the stud colt grew and the mare had two more babies (all the time they are being passed around to different people). No training, no vaccinations, no vetting, and worst of all…no hoof care. When Zoey was born, they did finally separate the mare from the boys. However, these people were pretty much afraid of the horses and beyond keeping them fed, nothing has been done with them. I was given these two after the owners fell onto hard times. I was interested in the mare but did not really want a 2 year old since I have one already. Later I learned they were a packaged deal and because they were a packaged deal and Zoey was half-blind no one would take them. In my part of the world, cowboys aren’t interested in a horse that can’t see. (and we won’t tell anyone that my husband groaned when I brought them home but has been so helpful already :wink: )

I think this little gal has a lot of potential. At two years of age, she had never had a halter on, never been taught to lead, and obviously never been trailered. When I picked her and her mother up, I loaded her mother and decided to see what Zoey would do alone. We slowly reduced her freedom area with panels while leaving the trailer door open (mom was tied up and the partition closed). I allowed her to take as much time as she needed. When she stood still at the door, I reached down and placed her foot inside the trailer. She pulled it back of course but after repeating this several times, she placed both front feet inside herself. Keeping the trailer door close to her but not pushing into her, I leaned into her and she stepped up inside. It took about 45 minutes. All of this was done without a lead rope, without yelling and waving hats, and most importantly, without it being a bad experience for her. The point I am getting at is that she isn’t a nutty horse. She has a lot of common sense for being 2, never taught anything, and being half-blind.

So I believe there is hope for her. I am just asking for help so I can help her. Thanks in advance. And I’m sorry it’s so long. Just trying to provide background for my question.

Hi this folder is for people with disabilities, not horses - you will get lot’s of help/suggestions if you post it instead on the “Horse Care” forum! While I’m here though, I know of several quite successful half blind horses - you mean she is missing one eye but has the other working fine correct? They just needed to develop a lot of trust in their rider/handler, and have some allowances made.

For your filly, can you wait on weaning until she is more familiar with you and her new setting? I would think in time, you can go ahead and do it your normal way.

There is a huge difference between half blind (I assume one blind eye and one normal eye?) and being blind. You treat the half blind horse the same as a normal horse aside from talking more when you are on the side she can’t see out of.

Half blind horses do just fine. I have one that I’m calling 3/4 blind (a month ago he destroyed his right eye and it had to be removed, meanwhile we found out he had chronic inflammation in the left eye, so we did another intensive course of treatment on that). It’s not clear how much vision my colt has in the left eye, his pupil does not respond to light, however it is obvious he can see something. Anyways, he’s 5 months old and I just weaned him a couple days ago. Before the injury he was living with two other mares and foals. I weaned the other foals first, so when I went to wean him the other two were well adjusted and calm. He seemed to recognize them, and buddy right up. There was no more drama than weaning a foal with full vision. He’s in a round area with panels right now with the other babies (safe), but he’s doing fine. I put lots of piles of food out, he knows where the water is. He’s actually fairly independent too, he will walk away from the other, boss the others around, etc… It’s amazing how well they can do.