Unlimited access >

Blocking draft, snow, etc. under sliding barn door

Jaideux, I live in Kansas – I was just in Kentucky last week for a workshop. Yes, we NEED to keep the driving snow, wind and rain out here, too!

Because I am not handy, I think I will try the sandbag route. Affixing things to other things, unless by Super Glue or velcro, is frequently beyond my skill set! Also, we may be replacing this big sliding door in the spring with something that fits better --thinking of an overhead door – so, keeping the cost down is important.

We usually close this door around November 1st, lock it shut and don’t open it again until spring.

I use a row of shavings bags (the ones that come in plastic bags) to block the wind from under my north-facing sliding door in the winter. It works well, and when I don’t need to block the wind anymore, I can just use them in the stalls.

[QUOTE=Mango20;7241553]
I use a row of shavings bags (the ones that come in plastic bags) to block the wind from under my north-facing sliding door in the winter. It works well, and when I don’t need to block the wind anymore, I can just use them in the stalls.[/QUOTE]

Yup, this. If you leave the shavings in the bags it shouldn’t be very dusty, and they weigh less than sandbags.

I just stuff an old tarp between the door and the floor. Works pretty well and the cats push a bit out of the way so they can get in and out quickly

[QUOTE=sk_pacer;7241799]
I just stuff an old tarp between the door and the floor. Works pretty well and the cats push a bit out of the way so they can get in and out quickly[/QUOTE]

If it is going to stay there, you don’t need to move it to open the doors, if you have some old bathmats/rugs/carpet remnants that need replacing, you can use those.:slight_smile:

Reported the spam.

I use this for a 14’ wide heavy old wood door in windy Northern Illinois. Super easy to move once I’ve shoveled the snow away from outside the door. I must use this door in the winter but can leave it closed for the worst weather. I can’t attach anything to the bottom because it has to slide through “braces” at the bottom that keep it from blowing out when the wind comes from the south.

Something like this may help.