Unlimited access >

Blood panel on QH

I’m going to be vetting a quarter horse on Friday. I grew up with quarter horses but it’s been a long time since I’ve been a part of that world. The horse in question is a young horse that has Doc Bar breeding on top and Dash for Cash on bottom.

We will be doing a panel testing for Herda/PSSM/HYPP. And whatever else.
I was just curious if there was anything specific to these bloodlines that I needed to watch out for? Trying to avoid heartache again. Thanks!!

I plan to look at feet closely and hocks. And of course anything else that shows up or is in question.

1 Like

In addition to the 5 panel, you could also test for PSSM 2 variants if you want to leave no stone unturned. I do think it’s a bit early days though as the tests are not validated/peer reviewed and some who have gotten positive results say that their horses don’t present symptoms. However there are many in the PSSM fb group who have dealt with symptomatic horses who do insist on the test for any horse they are considering purchasing.

Regardless, fingers crossed for your vetting Friday :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Yes, to the whole 5 panel.

How long do you have to make the decision to buy or not? The PSSM2/variants testing is questionable, though a lot of people are getting test results, making dietary changes and getting improvements, so it’s not like it’s totally bogus. EquiSeq simply has never published their research to back up their claims of reliable testing which is why it’s questionable. That said, you COULD do that, hair samples sent to them, for the PSSM2 variants.

So I’m trying to figure out the five panel. I’m being told that if I do it through AQHA that it is going to take 2 months to get the results back. Which isn’t very helpful for a PPE.

To me it looks like you can get results from UC Davis in about 7 days?

Reading on the Equiseq forum, It sounds like it takes about 6-8 weeks from them too. Which sucks!

I talked to UC Davis. Sounds like they are my best option during a pre-purchase. Unfortunately I think trying to test for PSSM2 it’s going to take way too much time for most sellers. As far as I can see as of right now he has no warning signs and his bloodlines are known to be strong and healthy overall.

We will see what my vet thanks tomorrow!

I used to show halter and am familiar with HYPP. Those bloodlines would not concern me and I would not pay to have him tested, at least as far as HYPP is concerned.

1 Like

I agree.

1 Like

I think PSSM is the biggest concern. My vet said the same thing as far as HYPP.

You don’t need to go through the AQHA for a gelding.

If there is no Impressive in the pedigree there’s no change of HYPP, but you have to look beyond the 5-gen papered pedigree, or know that each parent is verified negative.

But the 5-panel may be cheaper than doing several of the tests separately, so check into that.

Actually it may be 6-panel now with the addition of IMM which would for SURE want to know about.

If parents are HYPP negative, IMM negative, PSSM1 negative, then HERDA isn’t an issue at his age, and I wouldn’t worry about anything else

There is no Impressive in his pedigree, I’ve looked pretty deeply as has someone who knows QH bloodlines VERY well. So my vet said she’s not worried about HYPP.

I’ll ask my vet about IMM. Thanks!!

Perhaps a stupid question, but what is IMM? I haven’t heard of that one before.

School of Veterinary Medicine - Immune Mediated Myositis (IMM) (ucdavis.edu)

1 Like

It is a relatively “new” disease that affects the back/butt muscles. Basically, stress (shipping, vaccination, etc.) can trigger an autoimmune response that causes the muscle in those regions to atrophy tempoarily. A more severe case can appear as tying up/muscle spasms.

I believe it was first confirmed only in 2018 or 2019, but UCD now includes it in their standard 5 panel test. I think it’s hypothesized that IMM/MYHM is genetically common (reining/cutting lines especially) but doesn’t display as much as other genetic issues. There is still a lot not known about it though, so new info is always coming up.

Edit: Looked it up and according to MSU IMM is not super common but not unheard of (~7% of the quarter horse population and 16-22% reining/cowhorse).

1 Like