Unlimited access >

Bloodline Analysis of New Horse? (OTTB)

Hi! I just bought my new mount and would love to know what people think of his bloodlines, just for fun. Hoping to do mid-level eventing before likely moving into just dressage (because my eyes won’t stop dying on me, not because I will have fallen out of love with jumping, fun times). His jockey club name is Spanish Soul.

https://www.pedigreequery.com/spanish+soul2

1 Like

I am no expert at all but I like his bloodlines.

Can you post a picture of him?

1 Like

Here he is!

10 Likes

Maudlin ended up local to me. He sired some pretty hunter types (after their racing careers).

Can’t comment on his pedigree, but gosh he’s cute!! Love his face, hate what someone did to his forelock. At least he won’t have a little wisp of a forelock like my TB, haha.

I’d get those hind feet angles checked out with lateral rads and a good farrier - they look negative to me (very common in TB) and you want to remedy that quickly.

Lovely guy, enjoy him!!

1 Like

Nice pedigree for sport. Nothing you don’t want to see, the page reads to me like a second career in eventng would come naturally to him.

No experience with Soldat but eventers love the War Fronts, typically saw them represented by big bays with great canters/gallop for XC. Forty Niner, Rubiano, and Coronado’s Quest all were well known for event types - Forty Niner in particular had several long format horses, though their name escapes me (a common theme this AM, it seems).

Someone here has a Spanish Steps horse, I can’t remember who, but it was a regular poster who swore by that stallion’s ability to pass on good dressage movement. If I’m remembering correctly, the horse was quite nice and had a natural rhythm.

Nice double to Round Table and Dr Fager. Two more names eventers swear by for grit and jump.

Some posters don’t like to see Fappiano doubled, some don’t care. He’s far enough back now in modern pedigrees that I believe it to be a non-issue. In his day if you could find a horse sired by Fappiano they were smart, athletic horses that needed a job: think GSD in a horse body. Always liked them.

Nice to see Star Gallant, that was a pleasant surprise. I have a little personal history with this horse, and one of his sons who has been with us for nearly 20 years. Star Gallant didn’t cover many mares, but I always liked whatever horse came along by him. I wish he had seen better success on the track, because he made some lovely movers. That was probably why he didn’t see much success – his horses had very uphill canters and springy, inefficient (for racing) trots. Despite him being a 1979 model he was siring horses up until the early 2000s. Our gelding by him is now retired, but was such a kind, lovely horse to ride. He was the kind of horse who just felt ‘collected’ from day one: took to the bridle like he had been a dressage horse his whole life, was honest, game, and kind.

Good luck with your guy. He looks just lovely.

3 Likes

I think Danzig’s versatility as a sire of sporthorses is well accepted.

War Front is a sweetie. He’s one of those horses who isn’t my type physically at first glance, but boy his offspring are incredible.

I feel like I recently came across an upper level eventer from years ago with Coronado’s Quest close up, but of course now I can’t find it. I’m always good for saying that. :rofl:

I don’t remember the Spanish Steps sire, but the bloodlines certainly suggest eventing and sport ability.

1 Like

I totally thought this horse would be related to my horse who has Spanish names in the pedigree but he is not!

I think I saw this horse posted on Twitter, pedigree aside I really like the overall look of him. Do you have any video of him moving out to share?

1 Like

Handsome boy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXGZMPKgV88&t=36s Youtube is while he was body sore from the track. He seems to have loosened up some since then but he’s a big gangly boy right now in a small arena figuring out his feet! What I’ve absolutely loved is the video of him just after arriving at the farm just…following along (the walking video).

The PPE vet could not stop talking about how nice his brain and temperament was and seemed quite impressed at the lack of issues he found which was obviously a great surprise. I believe the comments were “great brain, kind, handles himself well” and “Overall…honestly my opinion is…he’s not a bad horse” (said with the tone that screamed “HE IS GREAT BUY HIM”).

6 Likes

It will be the first time I’ve every owned a horse with a forelock! I believe the seller’s comment was something along the lines of she had no idea he had a bowl cut until she brushed out his forelock :rofl: poor guy.

1 Like

Forgot to mention, I had his feet looked at and x-rayed by the PPE vet. He only mentioned the one foot that was a smidgen clubby and recommended bringing the angle down 1-2 degrees. But overall said everything looked quite nice.

1 Like

Nice horse. I hope you keep us updated on him. Even past the trackiness in this video you can see the parts are all there, what a balanced canter too. What is his barn name?

1 Like

It’s TBD lol the seller named him Mo (I believe from the 3 stooges due to the bowl cut forelock) but…I have a not great experience with an equine Mo in the past so the name is a bit tainted :rofl: currently tossing names around but I can update once I settle on one! Currently considering Zafiro (sapphire in Spanish) and Mithros (character of one of my favorite authors) but it may end up something completely different!

1 Like

For the last few years I’ve been riding a lovely older mare who has Fappiano in-breeding, and I would say she fits this description to a T (she is by Victory Gallop— grandsires are Cryptoclearance and Quiet American). Incredibly sensitive but also great brain on her. Total professional, super talented. Actually ended up somehow in a local rescue and had multiple failed adoptions because she was very misunderstood by people with no TB experience, and she had fallen into rough hands.

OP, best of luck with your new guy, what a nice horse!

1 Like

Holy crap you are super knowledgeable about these kids and their lineages. Any advice on how to learn more and research myself? I’m leasing an OTTB and I’m super curious now about his lineage…

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s very kind. I’m far from the most knowledgeable here on COTH - we have quite a few pedigree mavens out there. Most of my knowledge came from when I was still sourcing TBs from the track and working backside; I used to volunteer for CANTER’s listings as well. When you list/see hundreds of horses a season you start to get a feel for who stamps what. That boots-on-the-ground experience gave me so many life lessons too. Then I worked for a seasoned “OTTB Flipper” (though I hate to use that term, she loved her horses) who would bring me to the track to look for projects with her. Happy to report I still have a few OTTBs, one through the aforementioned CANTER program and two others from Finger Lakes (both were listed on FLF).

Now with everything being online it’s even easier to get a feel for what certain stallions pass on, especially since most have website presence and their offspring are all over social media. Dams can be a little harder, since you’re not as likely to see a hundred of their offspring. Used to be if you wanted to see a conformation photo of a stallion you’d have to find his stallion ad: now you can see almost any stallion on Bloodhorse and you can research pedigree, progeny, and results quite easily on various websites like Equibase or even PedigreeQuery. Then there’s the Keeneland sales, where you can attend virtually and see a book of hundreds of quality yearlings/mares in a very short time.

4 Likes

He will be fun to gallop I think! Nice canter!

1 Like

I had a Dr Fager mare growing up who was loads of fun. No local trainers to teach me to jump “correctly”, but she’d jump darn near anything I pointed her at all the same.

You’ve clearly developed a competitive knowledge base that some of us (maybe just me but there’s probably others) would be so stoked to have seen in real time.

Appreciate the resources. I’ve used a couple but there’s a few I haven’t so off to learnin’ a thing or two I go!