Unlimited access >

Bluetooth Headphones with Microphone for virtual lessons

Does anyone have a recommendation for Bluetooth headsets to use with a Pivo for a remote/virtual lesson? My primary concern is sound quality for calls—I’ve had AirPods before that I’ve tried to call people in while jogging, and the wind noise meant that the person I was on the phone with just couldn’t hear whatever I was saying.

I’ve seen these on a rec list, but I’m worried about the sound quality of the microphone (eg, does the mic pick up wind noise when on phone calls?). If you’ve used these for calls and liked them, that would be good to know too! https://www.jlab.com/products/jbuds-frames-wireless-audio-for-your-glasses?variant=36515924967496

1 Like

I have not tried them with a phone call or with the Pivo, but I really like my
Aftershokz Aeropex

open ear / bone conduction headphones for use outside, so I can still hear what’s going on.

Look for the ‘mini’ smaller size if appropriate, the regular ones were too big for me and now belong to DH.

1 Like

I love love love these for summer time (battery life is absolutely outstanding), but I can not wear a winter hat with them because of the loop in the back. Do you have the same problem?

1 Like

For bluetooth I’ve only ever used Airpods. Previously I’ve also used wired headphones – Bose noise cancelling with a microphone on the wire that I could clip to my shirt / collar to keep in place. I then rode with my phone on a hip belt and excess wires wrapped.

I mainly get virtual lessons inside, so wind / background noise hasn’t been an issue with airpods – but I also am rarely speaking in a lesson so it’s more about the trainer’s mic set up. At most I may ask for clarification or give quick and short responses to a posed question (e.g. “how is she feeling now in your hands?” me: “better but still heavier on left”)

Bose phones also worked well. Lessons with those weren’t virtual though, just a trainer who easily strained her voice so really tried to limit yelling / speaking at loud volumes for extended periods. But she didn’t have a dedicated ear bud / mic cee coach type system. She’d WhatsApp call me on my phone (so we were using barn WiFi) and give instructions that way. This was outside and it worked well but again - I rarely speak, so the benefit was more the noise cancelling so that I could hear her better. However it did mean if I was riding with others in the ring I had to pay SUPER close attention because I couldn’t hear them call to me iwth the noise cancelling feature on.

1 Like

My SO got me from Beats for Xmas this year because I discovered the joy of listening to audio books and podcasts while doing evening chores… I haven’t tried a phone call with them yet tho.

However, they seem to stick really far out of my ear and even with the smallest little gummy piece they feel like they will fall out really easily. Right now it’s cold enough I’m still wearing a beanie over them to hold them on. I want to be able to ride with them and use them with my coach for lessons because she uses a CC Coach system and I’ve sat on the wire more than once and ripped the bud out of my ear. But these feel like they will fall right out and good luck finding those in the arena. SO says his gym ones sit in the ear a little more and wants to see if they will work better so we can swap.

1 Like

Thanks to all who responded! I got super busy so I wasn’t able to reply to this earlier, but I’m going to best buy to get a headset today and I’m very grateful for the ideas :slight_smile:

Just an update, my SO’s also sit too far out for me to try riding with them, I’d definitely suggest some that have the little piece that hooks over the top of your ears. I fed a few times without the beanie and yep, they fell right out if I turned my head suddenly.