Unlimited access >

Boarding and Training Recs in Springfield, MO

I am moving to Springfield, MO in the coming months and I need recommendations for boarding and training. If there is any group that can point me in the right direction, it is the COTH forum folks.

My move from Colorado will be in the next few months, and I will be bringing my handsome OTTB gelding along with me asap. I’m looking for a good boarding facility where we can be amongst other sport horse types, and things like blanketing, supplements, and feeding grain will be looked at as normal practice and not “extras”. I am assuming care is more stall and pasture, and turnout is pretty standard in the area.

Preferably, I would love to be in a barn with other eventers. We are just starting our journey in this sport, but we are hooked and have found our tribe. I want to continue riding and training with an aim to get competing in the near future. I’ve tried contacting a couple of trainers/barns that I found through google searches, but responses have been minimal. Can someone in the know point me in the right direction?

Is there anything else I should know when bringing my guy to the area? Things to be aware of, watch out for, or be prepared for? The idea of moving him out there is scary, and I want to know everything! :slight_smile:

TIA!

That area is my home base when I’m not traveling for work! It’s gorgeous and people are generally kind and helpful.
Unfortunately, I’m not much help when it comes to your actual question. I briefly tried to find a lesson barn but didn’t have much luck. There are tons of horses in that area, but trail riding seems to be the mainstay. Ava, which is fairly near Springfield, is the home of the Missouri Fox Trotter, and from what I’ve seen, they make up a pretty large percentage of local horses.
I live in a significantly more rural area than Springfield proper and am only there a few months a year, so it’s entirely possible that I just haven’t run across any fellow eventers. Hopefully there are folks on here who can point you in the right direction.

​​​​​​Best of luck, sorry I couldn’t be more helpful!

Cynthia Wiseman/Stone Ridge Eventing is based in Springfield I believe. Cynthia is awesome, competed through Intermediate and has a robust program. She also works with Julie Wolfert in KC regularly.

1 Like