Unlimited access >

Boarding in Alexandria VA area

I am looking to relocate my Mare from South FL to Alexandria VA (outside of DC). I am not having much luck searching on the internet. I am hoping there are some places that could be recommended for me to check out (when I visit) that would be known to those in the horse world.

*Good, Bad, Ugly recommendations are appreciated.

I would like full board ideally with a private paddock or small turn out.

Also, if you have any recommendations on tranportation companies that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

How far are you willing to drive? And in what directions and at what times? And (though you probably don’t know this yet) where within Alexandria will you be living? Your location relative to “the mixing bowl” (intersection of 95, 395, 495) will determine whether barns south of DC, barns in PG county, or barns to the west (Clifton) are good options.

I would like to be within 20-25 minutes at most from the barn so I can get there ASAP if there is an emergency. With that being said I have looked at some that are as far as 40 minutes because I believe they will provide the best possible care on the days I can’t make it to the barn. I previously lived on Liver River Turnpike/Duke Street and will be just south of the mixing bowl off of Richmond Highway by Fort Belvior .

I would like to be within 20-25 minutes at most from the barn so I can get there ASAP if there is an emergency. With that being said I have looked at some that are as far as 40 minutes because I believe they will provide the best possible care on the days I can’t make it to the barn. I previously lived on Liver River Turnpike/Duke Street and will be just south of the mixing bowl off of Richmond Highway by Fort Belvior

I am fairly certain 20-25 minutes is not going to happen. You might be able to find little backyard places in Great Falls or Falls Church, but if you’re looking for more than that, you’re probably going to drive at least 40 minutes. Some people in Awxandria and Arlington also choose to board in MD, as it is often easier to go that way than go west into Virginia.

Most of the farms are going to be in Loudoun county or the far end of Fairfax. You need to prepare yourself for driving…it’s a terrible fact of life for this area.

Yeah there is no barn within 20-25 min of Alexandria (and what part it’s a big geographic area). You can head back over the bridge into MD, in PG County there are a fair few barns in that area (tend to be cheaper too). Or you can go further west into VA but traffic is awful heading that way and if you can’t go at off peak hours what should be a 40 min drive can quickly turn into 1.5 hours.

Also your budget, anything under 1k and you’re going to have to drive further. DC is a place you just have to get used to driving for a very very long time to get anywhere. It’s a fact of life. My husband worked 13 miles from home and it regularly took over an hour.

I live in Alexandria City and currently ride in Aldie, VA. Its a 50 minute drive from Alexandria to Aldie w/o traffic! I work out in the Dulles area and the commute is about 20-25 minutes from work and I only have the longer commute on weekends.

I don’t mean to burst your bubble but there is almost nothing close in to the DC/Alexandria area. Traffic is horrific! It can take 20-25 minutes to go 5 miles… If your schedule is more flexible I’d highly recommend leaving no later then 3PM to go to ride in the afternoon or it will take hours to get anywhere.

I have also boarded in Poolesville. MD and that was about a 35-45 minute drive from Alexandria, VA again w/o traffic.

Barns in Clifton, VA and Great Falls, VA are going to be the closest distance wise. Also there are a few barns in Prince Georges County (Upper Marlboro or Brandywine) those location will be about 30 mins from Alexandria, but again depending totally on the time of day you are trying to get there. If you get on the road at 5PM on a week day it will take you at least an hour to get there.

Feel free to PM me and I can give you the names of some barns in the Poolesville, MD area.

Also I’d suggest that if you are up this way to look at barns try to get there in a traffic time to see how long its really going to take you.

For transportation, Johnson, is fantastic! And who I used to ship my horse up to VA from FL. http://www.johnsonhorsetransportation.com/

If you’re going to be living near Ft Belvoir, not in Alexandria City or old town, you might be better off heading south toward Woodbridge.

[QUOTE=lynne;8358000]
If you’re going to be living near Ft Belvoir, not in Alexandria City or old town, you might be better off heading south toward Woodbridge.[/QUOTE]

I’d second this. If you were living in Old Town, getting to Upper Marlboro or something would be easy–I live right on the lines between Arlington/Alexandria/Falls Church and board in Davidsonville, and can get there in 35 minutes if traffic isn’t bad. But having to come up 395 from Belvoir, I’d think you’d be better off going south, or west on the Fairfax County Pkwy towards Clifton or Manassas. It’s still going to be more than 20 minutes, though.

Sallee Horse Transportation is WONDERFUL 859-255-9406

[QUOTE=JenEM;8358117]
I’d second this. If you were living in Old Town, getting to Upper Marlboro or something would be easy–I live right on the lines between Arlington/Alexandria/Falls Church and board in Davidsonville, and can get there in 35 minutes if traffic isn’t bad. But having to come up 395 from Belvoir, I’d think you’d be better off going south, or west on the Fairfax County Pkwy towards Clifton or Manassas. It’s still going to be more than 20 minutes, though.[/QUOTE]

I went from Belvoir into PG County for two years, but I was often able to do it off hours so not bad (and I took the pkwy not 395). The two barns I looked at in Woodbridge area had very long wait lists, or no trainer or self care (which I just couldn’t do).

I’m on the north end of Alexandria city, and board on the far side of Poolesville. It’s about 50 minutes with no traffic. With traffic, can be much, much longer. There was one day recently, a Saturday afternoon, where an accident on 495 shut down the bridge to MD, and I literally couldn’t get to the barn.

I love Alexandria, but it is definitely not convenient when it comes to barns.

[QUOTE=wanderlust;8358389]
I’m on the north end of Alexandria city, and board on the far side of Poolesville. It’s about 50 minutes with no traffic. With traffic, can be much, much longer. There was one day recently, a Saturday afternoon, where an accident on 495 shut down the bridge to MD, and I literally couldn’t get to the barn.

I love Alexandria, but it is definitely not convenient when it comes to barns.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I did the commute up to MoCo for boarding for years, and really loved the barn I was at up there. But my work schedule changed, and if you can’t get out there on off times, traffic can be really brutal. The drive out 66 was even worse, tried that, too for a while at one point :frowning: It’s one of those things where you have to figure out what you’re really willing to compromise on to make it work. And unfortunately land values around here mean that we’re not really going to see any good solution.

Clifton, Lorton, Fairfax Station has some small places that you might be able to find a spot in. That’s probably as close as you will get. 20-25 mins is essentially a giant stretch though. I think Meadowood had a few openings and that’s about 15 minutes or so from Belvoir.

I’m in Old Town and by far the easiest one for me was boarding in Accokeek, but my horse is in Fairfax Station now. We had him in Bluemont, which was the best care in the world, but it would take me hours and hours.

Oh my God, all this talk is making me miss my old haunting grounds but it’s also proving why I left VA and moved to Fl and that was over 25 yrs ago! I grew up in Lorton and we had a nice little farm that I’ve been told now is fancy houses going for a million and up. I used to ride up the power lines to Fairfax Station. Woodbridge didn’t have any stables back then but I know how much everything has changed. I don’t miss all the traffic that’s for sure!!

Good luck on your move and hope you find a nice place!

The posts about driving sadly:mad:, are NOT EXAGGERATED; what type of riding do you do?

I live in Old Town Alexandria, and your best bet is to go over the bridge in to Maryland. PG County has some decent farms. I’d avoid going back in to VA if you can. The barn where I used to ride is only 20 minutes* away in Clinton, MD.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

*(20 minutes on a Sat morning - weekdays take longer)

P.S. - I just saw this: http://virginiaequestrian.com/main.cfm?action=classifieds&sub=view&ID=138895

I know nothing about that area, but that website is a good place to find anything you need in the area.

Thank you!

Jarvis and the Stables at Meadowood should be good options for you. I know Jarvis has at least one option with a private paddock, maybe more.