Unlimited access >

Boarding in DC / NoVa area

Hello,

I have lived in Arlington, VA for the past three years and have not brought a horse to the area as of yet. I have a four year old large pony that I would like to bring to the area, he technically belongs to my niece but is still very green and needs more miles before becoming hers.

Does anyone have any recommendations for reasonable board near Arlington, VA? The most reasonable I have seen is about 525 a month, I would like a full-care board with turn out but do not require any super fancy facilities other than people that will give a good quality of care. I work a lot and may not be out every day, so finding someone trustworthy is far more important to me than size and number of arenas.

Thank you in advance!
Alissa

Look into Maryland facilities - usually more bang for the buck. What type of riding do you want the pony trained for?

Do you have any MD recommendations?

He’ll be shown in the all-around events on the POA circuit. He’s been started in the western events, but would like to get him lightly over fences as he gets more broke. I’m comfortable doing the work myself, someone to take an occasional lesson from would be nice but not necessary. No problems being at a hunter barn, I have primarily campaigned heavily on the AQHA circuit and reiners before riding horsemanship and reining in college, but had a Selle Francais mare I competed in the amateur-owners with as well.

Check out Burrages End Stables. It’s MUCH easier to head out to southern MD than to fight all the traffic lights and congestion in VA. This barn is NOT in PG :eek::dead: County. :yes:

[NOTE: This recommendation applied only under the previous owners who sold in December of 2015.]

Thanks all - it can be a little tough to get to MD, but I’m open to it. I’d also be open to boarding at a private facility

what part of Arlington are you in? As long as it’s closer to being inside Beltway you are better off in MD than in VA - I lived in Alexandria, near Shirlington for years and found it MUCH better to be in MD than VA - VA is a trek out 66 or 267/Dulles Toll Road before you can get to any barn. I rode at a barn in Potomac and from Shirlington could get to barn in about 35 minutes via GW Parkway on the weekends. I worked in DC so it was a cinch to get to the barn as well and then on home.

I’m in Pentagon City and work is split between DC, Herndon and Tyson’s pending on client site.

Herndon is pretty far out to where it can be a pain getting back across the river, but for coming from the other locations, I’d second the Poolesville/Potomac area. I don’t know many of the barns there but there are some H/J and eventing barns at least…not sure about western.