Unlimited access >

Boarding in Indianapolis, IN area

First, apologies if this is the wrong place to post this!

I recently moved to Indianapolis from Bloomington, IN (originally form Massachusetts), and am currently at a barn in Noblesville. For various reasons the barn I am at isn’t going to work out, and I’m looking for other places closer to the city or closer to the west side to board my horse. I haven’t had much luck finding barns (I’ve looked at a few with barbed wire fencing, some with no riding rings, only feed sweet feed, that sort of stuff), so I was hoping to get some advice on decent barns in the area. Currently my horse is on pasture board, but I think he really needs to be stalled for at least part of the day–his feet are really water damaged, and they never really get to dry when he is on pasture board. My price range is under 500, so I’m not even sure if I can find stall board for that cheap. Any help would be greatly appreciated! My main concerns are good arena footing (if no indoor, good enough footing to ride all year round) and nice pasture, as well as being within an hour of Indy’s west side (close to the IUPUI campus). Thanks!

I live right next to IUPUI. This isn’t exactly a horsey area. The only boarding I know of is in the Noblesville/Zionsville area. Maybe check out the Indiana Horse Network website. They list for the whole state, but it should give you a place to start. Also, if you make it up to Grand Champion Tack on 96th and Michigan(? Pretty sure that’s where they are…), they’re pretty knowledgeable people who could probably also help you out. And of course, check with your farrier or vet.

[QUOTE=Megsinyoursocks;7728746]
First, apologies if this is the wrong place to post this!

I recently moved to Indianapolis from Bloomington, IN (originally form Massachusetts), and am currently at a barn in Noblesville. For various reasons the barn I am at isn’t going to work out, and I’m looking for other places closer to the city or closer to the west side to board my horse. I haven’t had much luck finding barns (I’ve looked at a few with barbed wire fencing, some with no riding rings, only feed sweet feed, that sort of stuff), so I was hoping to get some advice on decent barns in the area. Currently my horse is on pasture board, but I think he really needs to be stalled for at least part of the day–his feet are really water damaged, and they never really get to dry when he is on pasture board. My price range is under 500, so I’m not even sure if I can find stall board for that cheap. Any help would be greatly appreciated! My main concerns are good arena footing (if no indoor, good enough footing to ride all year round) and nice pasture, as well as being within an hour of Indy’s west side (close to the IUPUI campus). Thanks![/QUOTE]

Most places North are going to be more than $500. I live on the South Side, work at Lilly but train up North. That said, if you aren’t going to show, but looking for a decent place, I can send you a phone number. It’s about 25 min southeast of IUPUI, indoor. It’s safe, mostly western decent group of people, no trainer (well- a western trainer I guess) a kid I helped find a horse boards there and seems pretty happy. It’s $350.

LOL, there are plenty of boarding barns that aren’t in Zionsville.

I board at a small private barn 15 minutes from downtown.

Taylor Turn, Mayhem stables, Dan Hobyn, Just Us, Triple H, Southport Equestrian Center, Natural Valley Ranch, 50 West, Open Door Equine, Sky View Ranch dressage,

There aren’t so many HJ or Dressage only barns on the west side but you should be able to find a multi discipline barn.

I rode at Deer Run growing up. (Brownsburg address, off 86th west of Lafayette Rd., ~20 min from IUPUI) Haven’t been there in several years, but at the time it had an indoor & outdoor with appropriate footing, safe fence, and a reasonable price tag. H/J place predominantly, but open to whoever would pay board on time. It’s a small property, so there was daily turnout but not 8+ hours a day. Can’t vouch for the current state of affairs.

There also were several multi-discipline barns in the no-mans-land between Brownsburg, Avon, and Clermont. Via 65, it would probably be shorter drive time to look on the northwest corner (north of Brownsburg, Whitestown, Zionsville) rather than due west, but west out 10th/36/40 will be cheaper. My horse world as a teen was pretty small, so I’m pathetically clueless about the other three sides of the city.