Unlimited access >

Bobby Flay. What does it cost to breed TBs at the top?

I occasionally watch beat Bobby Flay and get a kick out of it. Apparently it’s days are numbered. Interesting article. So Flay wanted 100 million to stay with the Food Network. I noticed that he sold a nice young horse through one of the sales recently for good money. It makes you wonder how much you have to have to play at that level.

Well, you know, he doesn’t spend all his money on horses. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

He’s a pretty wealthy guy, has quite the successful breeding program and some good racehorses on the track.
Like most breeders that don’t stand stallions I doubt he counts on making money from racing or breeding. He buys expensive fillies and sells some of his horses at auction for good prices.

For all we know he could be making a profit but I would guess that it’s an expensive hobby for him, as it is for many breeders.

2 Likes

Yes, he has ‘sold’ some expensive babies, but some of those, like the one that sold at saratoga (probably the one you’re thinking of?) He actually bought back, as part of a partnership group. So that million plus price tag means a bit less, since he bought a third or a quarter of that yearling back.

It is still indicative of the horse’s market value. As I mentioned, I believe it is an expensive hobby for him, not necessarily a profit making venture.

When you invest millions into breeding stock you are unlikely to recoup the initial investment, let alone the costs of breeding and maintaining the mares and training the babies (unless you get lucky with yearlings that sell for many millions or a colt that is a superstar on the track and is stallion material.) Fun though, I would think. :grinning:

1 Like

Pizza Bianca (clever name) Flay owned and bred, o/o his imported Galileo mare White Hot, won the G1 Juvenile Fillies Turf at the B.C. (Del Mar) today.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/usa/dmr/2021/11/5/8/breeders-cup-juvenile-fillies-turf-g1t

1 Like

Flay also did a nice piece about the penultimate race. It showed his love of racing, and cooking- at the same time!

1 Like

If you add up the fees for breeding to these stallions, it shows only one part of the cost of breeding at the top level for one season.

1 Like

Those appear to be some awfully fancy mares. Thanks for the post!

1 Like

Thanks fir the link.

Seems some people like to just buy a fancy meal, others have a passion to select the best ingredients and make the meal as well.

1 Like