Unlimited access >

Bone chips in young horses

Will discuss with a vet as well, but wanted to gather some anecdotal evidence. I’m in the process of looking for a young (2-6 yrs) showjumping prospect with hopes of competing at the 1.20/1.30 level in the future. Several of the horses I’ve inquired about so far have had bone chip removal surgery prior to the horse starting work under saddle, usually around age 2. Is there any concern that the bone chips and subsequent surgeries will have an impact on their future jumping career/ ability to stay sound down the road? Or once the chips are removed are they no longer a problem? Would a history of chip removal surgery negatively affect a horses resale value if they are otherwise healthy/sound? I don’t have any personal experience with this so any input is appreciated.

It all depends on where the chip was, how the surgery went, and how things looked post-surgery. Plenty go on to have no issues at all, and if the horse is doing the job with no issues, having a chip removed as a 2 year old won’t hinder resale. But, I vetted one years ago that the owner told us had one chip removed, but she then released the vet records and it was actually more than one chip and there was a lot of effusion visible in the joints on a physical exam even years later. So, the experienced PPE vet advised that she would not recommend moving forward because arthritis becoming a performance issue in the future was a when not an if on the horse, and the horse was not inexpensive.

2 Likes

What @Madison said. Unless there’s effusion or lameness post surgery, I wouldn’t worry about it (but definitely get the records including X-rays).

As someone that just completed a search similar to yours, I will say that chips are incredibly common and I wouldn’t let it hinder my decision on a horse that age unless there’s effusion or lameness just jogging or after flexion. I found it was incredibly hard to find what I wanted in that age range so I was willing to forego some asymptomatic things on x-ray.

Good luck!

2 Likes

In many instances, if chips are found and removed at an appropriately early age, it’s a complete non-issue. Many larger breed horses (warmbloods and TBs) develop OCDs and chips, so breeders of these horses optimally check screening films at 18 months or so. Obviously there are variables, but I would say that most horses that have these OCDs/chips removed never look back and go on to have productive careers (or are limited by some other unrelated factor).

Regarding variables, In some cases these chips are tiny and are located near (not in) the joint and removing them is almost a cosmetic procedure. In other cases, even very large OCDs that are diagnosed and handled at an appropriately early age can be removed and the joint can heal without any radiographic or physical evidence. Obviously it’s important to use a vet for the pre-purchase exam that is knowledgeable in this area, or alternatively, consult with an experienced veterinarian for review of past and current films.

As an aside, I would not expect a price break or discount on a nice young horse that had a successful OCD surgery at an early age and now has no radiographic or physical evidence.

ETA–the situation / prognosis is different when OCDs are diagnosed and treated at older ages after the horse has become symptomatic. That’s quite different than an asymptomatic 18 month old.

3 Likes

Thank you for the replies/advice! Will keep in mind with any PPEs I move forward with.

1 Like

I honestly wouldn’t let the right horse get away with or without a chip.
Factor it into price however unless there is an abundance of chips and/or lameness I wouldn’t pass.

I did recently pass on mine because there was some irregularities in the gait and each joint we xrayed showed something going on. Mind you we stopped at the 10th image.

Yet, I found a stunningly well bred and sound sound guy that had a chip in the fetlock. Fairly decent size but not inside the joint.
The owner halved the price and vets felt it would likely be a non issue with a mid level dressage career.

I’ll handle it if something pops up but while newer vets I’ve spoken to are all pro surgery all day, the older vets seem to understand that nothing is perfect, everyone has problems and there are risks associated with the surgery.

It is case by case, get advice from a few vets and a surgeon before proceeding and make sure they discuss your plans with the horse. Most of us won’t likely be doing high levels of the sport.

Good luck!!!

2 Likes