Unlimited access >

Bone cysts in hoof- success stories?

Hey,

do any of you have exeriences with bone cysts (navicular, in particular) in young horses that mineralized again?

I’ve read so many stories of how this is often affected/causes by poor trimming,wrong shoeing or a defienceny of certain minerals like calciums (what in turn affects thebone metabolism) and healed completely after the cause has been revised.

Currently I’m interested in a 5yo mare, she’s lovely, fun to ride and has a really great “work attitude”. She competed in some classes for young horses last year and has been x-rayed in spring this year, because her breeder wanted to sell her.

Long story short, they found a cyst in one of her front hoofs. As to know, I’m still waiting for the x-rays so that I can send them to another vet, that being said, I do not know the exact location of the cyst. According to her breeder, she’s never been lame a single day. I’m a huge sceptic when it comes to the liability of breeders and sellers, but for some reason her breeder seems to be very sincere, just my gut feeling.

However, I tried so many horses and she was the only one among of those, I clicked with immediately. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy her, because (as cheesy as it might sound) she is exactly what I’m looking for in a horse, if it just wasn’t for that stupid remark.

What are your experiences with horses that have “bad” x-rays but are completely fine and sound clinically?

[QUOTE=nandou;8739562]
Hey,

do any of you have exeriences with bone cysts (navicular, in particular) in young horses that mineralized again?

What are your experiences with horses that have “bad” x-rays but are completely fine and sound clinically?[/QUOTE]

Complete and utter crap shoot. I’ve seen horses that have horrible, horrible x-rays (navicular bone in particular) and are sound and competing higher levels for years and others that have “mild changes” and are barely pasture sound.

That’s what I’ve read many many times too, though it would be interesting to know, what actually makes the difference then.

It turned out the mare has a cyst in her coffin bone close to the joint and it looks like it has a small canal to the joint as well.

However when compared to other x-rays of cysts, the mare’s is rather small and V-shaped, which makes me wonders if it is a cyst at all or maybe just dirt or entrapped air.

Is here anyone well in reading x-rays?

As for now, four experts couldn’t agree on whether there now is a cyst or not.

:confused: