Unlimited access >

Bone Density and Gelding

After years and years of being told to neuter our dogs and castrate our colts young, I see a shift in the thinking. I’ve recently heard that castrating a colt young will affect the bone density as an adult and it is best to wait. My sport is endurance and while good bone density is developed, it would be best to start off with a good foundation. What is the thinking on letting colts grow up with their hormones for a while? Until what age? Any other reasons to wait to castrate?

There is definitely a shift in thinking in the canine world… I think mostly brought on by the large number of large breeds that inevitably incur a cruciate ligament injury. I am sure there is some statistical research out there somewhere that shows the correlation but it also is an observation in clinical practice… early castration produces taller, lankier yet less developed sketetal frames etc. As most people realize gelding colts prior to long bone growth plate closure ( usually around 18 months) will usually produce a bit taller individual. Personally I do feel my colts develop more bone(cirumference not length), more muscle development if I can wait and geld as late 2 or even 3 year olds. Occasionally you get one that is gonna lose his life if he doesn’t lose his family jewels because they are so obnoxious early, but for the most part they are manageable. Because we are a purebred breeder it also gives us a chance to evaluate stallion potential both in type, temperament and ability.

1 Like

This is a great question, I am also interested in if anyone has any links to studies etc.
You should post this on the racing forum, the practice with racing people is to geld late in the 2 year old year for none stallion prospects.
Somebody over there might be able to stear you towards some studies.