Unlimited access >

Books about life on the A circuit?

Are there any books - auto/biographies or fiction - dealing w/ experiences w/ life on the A circuit? I’m starting my Christmas shopping, and I bet it’s a long shot, but I know someone who would love such a book!

Member of the drafties/drafties X clique!

PONY FAN

i’d like to e-mail you…or could you e-mail me…have questions about your book!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flash44:
It’s a documentary about a bunch of trust fund kids, and Georgina Bloomberg is interviewed in it. I don’t know her riding is mentioned.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, what’s the name of that?

My karma ran over your dogma.
Emily@catchride.com

I’m reading Tami Hoag’s book, Dark Horse, now. Love it.

Sonesta Farms Hanoverian, Knabstrupper & Arabian Sport Horses

“Find something you love & call it work.”

Hoag’s Dark Horse - I bought it, I read it. It was OK. But, I honestly don’t like her writing, and there were parts of this that definitely annoyed me.

Show Gypsies by Leigh Brown (mid 70’s) is a great one. And Anne McCaffery wrote on about showing in the 60’s - unfortunately I can not remember the name - but it was excellent!! Especially her descriptions of the YOUNG GEORGE MORRIS!!!

LMH - House Rules by Heather Lewis

Rose

There is a second “Year of the Horse” by Diana Walker that has a girl who meets her horsey neighbor and discovers the show circuit. It is very good, but it is not the same book that goes with “The Horse in the Grey Flannel Suit.”

is pretty good. If you read a ‘note from the author’, her “other” life is a dressage rider! I had no idea…I’ve read 98% of her books. Her book is set on the showjumping circuit, but the story is about the mystery, not the circuit. I was a little disappointed at the lack of horse stuff…I really liked the book, though, b/c I like all of her stuff.

“Trail of Secrets” by Eileen Gouge is really good. It’s about a girl who rides as a teen, grows up, experiences life, and gets re-involved in the horse world. It’s very enthralling; I couldn’t put it down. Again, the horse stuff is limited, but the story is very good…there’s more horse stuff in this one than in “Dark Horse”.

Another one ya’ll may enjoy (I really did!) is “Horse Heaven” by Jane Smiley. It’s not jumping related, it’s race related. However, it in no way resembles a Dick Francis novel. In fact, some of Horse Heaven is from the horse’s point of view. Again, couldn’t put it down.

If ya’ll can find them, Jody Jaffe wrote a 3 book series of horse mysteries…she’s a fashion writer for a paper, and ends up getting into situations at her barn. She’s at a h/j barn and has a horse. They were very good…I wish she’d come out with more, but I think 3 is all there is. “Chestnut Mare Beware” is the only title I can dredge to mind at the moment.

If I’m not mistaken, Nora Roberts has one as well…I THINK it’s in her holding/finding/something else the dream series (Nora writes many trilogies…she’s got a blue million of them. The trilogy I’m refering to is Holding the Dream, finding the Dream and one more whose title I can’t remember). The book wasn’t about horses…horses and jumping were simply a part of the story.

Well, hope these were helpful. I’m like ya’ll…always on the lookout for a good horse book/movie. All of these books are adult, not young adult. Tally ho!

“The daughter who won’t lift a finger in the house is the same child who cycles madly off in the pouring rain to spend all morning mucking out a stable.” (Samantha Armstrong)

There wasa book called, i believe, “theshow gypsies”, which i had seen reviewedin COTH, it had more todowith jumpers andwasdefinitely fiction.also, “The year of the horse”, if you can still find itis an indictment of the equitation division, I believe that Disneymade a movie based on it. aall i remember is agrey horse named "Aspercel’, does anyone remember the name of the movie?i don’t know that i ever saw it in full, only certain jumping scenes. Try “The horse in the grey flannel suit”, though the book had the other title “yearof the horse”. has Jody jaffee written any?I haveeeral themes and "plots’i would like to suggesttoher ;

breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a momento enjoy!, and give thanks for thesewonderful horses in our lives

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Emily A:
<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flash44:
It’s a documentary about a bunch of trust fund kids, and Georgina Bloomberg is interviewed in it. I don’t know her riding is mentioned.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, what’s the name of that?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remembered the name. It is called “Born Rich” and it is by Jamie Johnson.

Morgenroth has another, called “Ride A Proud Horse” that is more 70s and is not as good, but has a definite A-Circuit flavor.

There’s another where I can’t remember the title… girl has an Andalusian GP jumper, and her groom/trainer is a refugee from the Mexico City earthquake…

I have a fairly good collection of books (both horse-realted and non), and Show Gypsies is one of the elusive ones I had a tough time finding…saw one copy on Alibris or Abebooks a while ago, I think for close to $300.

Thanks!

Heheh - she (and I!) already have A Very Young Rider! Such a great little book - it’s where my love of Paint coloured horses started

Member of the drafties/drafties X clique!

Monday Horses was good. I read it in the 80’s…it is about the A circuit and juniors. Can’t remember who wrote it.

I can’t wait!!! I’ll buy them both!!!

Founder of the mighty Thoroughbred Clique!

Resident racing historian

More than once, she included banamine in a list of “sedatives”. I know banamine is a n NSAID, but I never heard it referred to as a sedative before.

Just curious - would a recent book about life on the A Circuit be something that you think people would actually be interested in?

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by poltroon:
Colbybean - what kind of horsey? Showing? Training? Pasture?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I remember correctly it was mostly about a teenaged girl with amnesia who starts to work at a horse farm, and starts to fall in love with the owner/trainer. There is a little bit about showing in it, but not much. Cute book though.

This is a coffee table book, and is alas out of print. Hardly any text, but really magnificent photos of ordinary riders in the context of the whole setting. It has show jumping, dressage, and eventing photos.

I have thaT book too!! It has some really cool pics-showjumping, hunters, dressage…

~Claire~

“The more I study, the more I know. The more I know, the more I forget. The more I forget, the less I know. So why study?”