Unlimited access >

Boot accessories

Let’s talk boots and their accessories. I need a couple affordable boot bags, what’s your favorite? How about boot trees? Pool noodle, plastic, fabric?

I like the Ariat bag.

I use a combo of pool noodles and Geoha feet and Geoha spring trees. https://www.hetgareel.nl/geoha-laarzenspanner-set-hout-voetspanner-1367/ My boots are old and I am murder on boot ankles (I have to buy them WAY taller than any boot fitter recommends because by the time I break them in they sink an unbelievable amount) so my cobbler suggested adding pool noodles to help keep the ankles puffed out, “Or I won’t be able to work on them anymore.” Yes, sir, will add pool noodles!

Note, I would not advise using Geoha spring trees on soft boots because eventually they will make your inner boot tabs stretch the leather and you’ll be able to see that on the outside of the boot. Super stiff boots only!

1 Like

I’ll second the Ariat boot bag. They are kind of pricey though; I happened to buy two when they were half price at Dover several years ago. Some of the other bags might work well for you if your boots aren’t too tall. I wear a 50cm height, so some bags were just too short. They have a nice side pocket for spurs too.

Boot trees, the Mountain Horse inflatable trees work pretty well. However, if you live where moisture is an issue, you might want to invest in wood. When I sweat a lot in summer I try to leave my the trees out of the boots long enough so the insides of the boots can dry.

1 Like

Thanks for adding the bit I forgot. My boots get ordered at 56cm and I’ve had exactly 2 boot bags in my life that are tall enough - Ariat and a discontinued Kieffer bag. I love the design of the Kieffer bag (it’s pretty and the colour combo does not show dirt and dust like the Ariat one), but the Ariat bag is nicely padded and the handle is more sturdy. My Kieffer (which gets used for whichever pair are out of season) is a thorn in my side due to its handles busting far too often.

When I was in a situation where I had to transport my boots to and from the barn every day, I decided to make boot bags. They are long gone now, but I remember it was pretty easy.

For each boot I basically made a tube by cutting a rectangle of a soft, fleecy fabric, with the short side the length of the boot 's foot plus about 3 inches, times two, and several inches taller than the boot. I turned under about an inch at the top to take a drawstring, and stitched, leaving a few inches open near the middle so I could insert the drawstring. Then I turned it right sides together and sewed across the bottom and up the long side, inserted the drawstring (I think I used twill tape, lol), turned it right side out and voila, a functional, if not particularly beautiful, boot bag. The pair served me well for quite some time. I tied the drawstrings together in a bow for easy carrying.

2 Likes

I am getting ready to make a boot bag for mine. If you have a local canvas shop they should be able to make you a custom one with exactly the sizing and specifications you want/need. It’ll be pricier than buying a new one for sure, but will last longer in my experience.

How about boot care products and boot trees?

A local vendor has QHP Products and I think they are good quality for the price.

For boot care, I use Cadillac Boot Conditioner/Cleaner after a quick wipe with a damp cloth.