Unlimited access >

Boots for a horse that interferes

Just wanted to get some input about boots (or wraps maybe?) for a horse that interferes. He is a 5 yo OTTB and we are just starting our dressage training. I have never used boots for flatwork before, but got a pair of the cheap Dover fetlock boots, which look pretty awful on him because they are a one size fits all, and the velcro barely fits.
I like the look of the Equilibrium strech & flex, but they don’t seem to provide much in the way of protection for interference.
I own a pair of eskadron open fronts, and a full set of the 2 strap woof boots for trail riding.
Thanks for any help you can offer!

ETA: if someone wants to tackle the explanation for polo wraps, or boots during flatwork, it would be very much appreciated as well!

White polo wraps are standard schooling attire for dressage. They provide some measure of protection from interference. They were thought to provide support as well but that has pretty much been disproven.

I’ve sometimes used boots like these in white for a little more protection.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/euro-pro-askan-hind-horse-boots/p/X1-0440/

Why white? It makes it easier to see the horse’s legs (in the arena mirrors, for example.) Sometimes black polos are used on grey horses.

If you don’t know how to wrap, I would not suggest polo wraps (unless you have some one who can teach you) because if you do them wrong it can damage your horses tendons. Polos provide less protection than boots. However they are cheaper than boots and they look really sharp, and its fun to match your saddle pad!

I like the fleece boots, They also look nice provide good protection and when I am in too much of a hurry to wrap I throw on my fleece boots. I use the Dover sport boot, they don’t last forever but they look nice and provide good cushion in case your horse hit itself.

Where is your horse interfering?

I prefer dressage boots (as they’re titled, not that I care about labels) because they typically have fuzzy insides, and my horse’s legs never seem as hot as they used to with Woof or other neoprene type boots, since we don’t school in water where I would want to avoid holding moisture in. If you need more protection various types of hard shell boots are out there and may suit your needs, too. It’s hard to answer simply because I think fit and comfort to the horse is very important, as well as protection of the area your horse hits.

Got it, thank you. So, for schooling I will pick up a pair of the fleece boots. And for clinics & lessons, stick to white polo wraps (my horse is a very dark bay)?
I do know how to wrap, just out of practice so will break those out this weekend.
There are too many choices out there, just trying to narrow things down!

He interferes with his hind fetlocks…the fetlock boots that I currently have are pretty evenly scuffed on the inside

ETA: if someone wants to tackle the explanation for polo wraps, or boots during flatwork, it would be very much appreciated as well!

Protection against interference during movements, whether related to clumsy, enthusiasm, (surface) footing challenge etc,

[QUOTE=aghorton;7246602]
Just wanted to get some input about boots (or wraps maybe?) for a horse that interferes. He is a 5 yo OTTB and we are just starting our dressage training.[/QUOTE]

• so you’re looking for a boot or bandage that especially protects the area of interference for your horse. Fit is important as the regular strike will challenge the boot’s ability to remain in place.

If your horse is shod, make sure whatever boot you’re going to use will stand up (or be prepared to replace the boots regularly).

If your horse is difficult to fit, wraps & polos can work better than any other boot - IME they also stood up better, after replacing Woof brushing boots (the only boot that fit) every 2-3 months, we just used a quality polo: I suspect they “last” as every ride it might be a different polo & certainly the wrap pattern was slightly different … this was just “enthusiasm” in a young horse & he rarely needs protection at his current level of training.

Your dressage trainer will be able to show you how to wrap safely, it does take longer than putting on a pair of boots, especially in the learning stages.

There are always concerns about heating the tendons when you wrap/boot, so be very aware of this, many boots will claim “air flow” “air channels” etc but neoprene is never going to “breathe” as well as cotton or woven materials, there is much more selection in boot types today
We use the N.E.W Brushing Boot ‘Lite’ (available in white or black) - they have outlasted any other versions, fit the “Cob” leg, don’t cause noticeable heat buildup.

If you read the boot study where tendon temps are actually measured, every boot tested caused a measurable rise in temperature, some the authors wanted to remove from the market but they were not even allowed to release names: you can certainly request heat retention information from each manufacturer - none of the spiffy diagrams & effusive propaganda ever supplies actual data, it’s all marketing.
Some vets will suggest certain boots if you ask appropriately.
(also consider the data on “soft” boots vs “hard strike” boots & how this is relevant to your horse)

When choosing a lining material, consider how it will fare where you ride.

NO dressage trainer has ever claimed “support”

• OK 1 has but she comes out with some really astounding statements :eek: so I generally discount her :lol:

I would not put polos on a horse that interferes - they are largely decorative/make it easier for you/the trainer to see the legs.

I would look for something with a hard strike plate on the inside of the fetlock. Like this- http://www.doversaddlery.com/weatherbeeta-molded-galloping-horse-boots/p/X1-04255/

I personally like the DSB II’s - so I might put those on the front (if the horse doesn’t interfere in front) and something with a hard strike plate behind.

:confused:
Cuts vs No Cuts seems pretty indicative of effective protection to me …
but then there are “polos” & then there are polos, quality varies greatly.

If horse is interfering so strongly that a hard strike plate is needed (rather than preferred for possible durability), I’d look at corrective shoeing, body work etc in addition to a protective boot.

Was he interfering when he came off the track? They seldom use anything more substantial than vetrap, which offers very little protection.

If you already have Eskadrons, you don’t need to get anything new. Those would work great. Anything with a plastic shell would protect him. You don’t need to look dressage-y. :slight_smile: If he interferes, those fleece lined thingies will just get torn up. Plus, they are hot. I use Roma gel rear fetlock boots. Three years and still going strong.

ETA they are discontinued, but something like this…

http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?ic=JP21840R

[QUOTE=merrygoround;7247181]
Was he interfering when he came off the track? They seldom use anything more substantial than vetrap, which offers very little protection.[/QUOTE]

He has been interfering since the day I started doing more substantial flatwork with him

[QUOTE=Bristol Bay;7247200]
If you already have Eskadrons, you don’t need to get anything new. Those would work great. Anything with a plastic shell would protect him.[/QUOTE]

I only have front boots, not the hind :sadsmile:

Those look like the cheapo Dover ones that I have and don’t like. So maybe just get the matching Eskadron ankle boots?

If you have a horse that smacks his pasterns then get some pastern wraps; http://www.nunnfiner.com/Nunn-Finer-Pastern-Bands-p/nfpb.htm
If he hits the fetlock;http://www.nunnfiner.com/Thermoplastic-Fetlock-Boots-p/126.htm
Then ask yourself and your farrier why he’s interfering.

I should also have asked how long you have had him. Sometimes it is a matter of hoof balance. While boots are fine for training, the cause needs to be addressed before you start competing, naked.

[QUOTE=aghorton;7247296]
I only have front boots, not the hind :sadsmile:

Those look like the cheapo Dover ones that I have and don’t like. So maybe just get the matching Eskadron ankle boots?[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a great plan! And much cheaper. :slight_smile:

I use the hard shell open fronts you get from horze. They’re TOUGH, cheap, and come in a million colors. They also don’t seem to get hot.

Thanks for all your input!

Try the Horze open front boots and the fetlock back boots, they come in awesome colors, and great, cheap prices.

I like DSBs, Woof boots (the one with thicker leather, not just sport boots), or neoprene. Each horse is different as to what they need/what fits.

I like polos but not enough protection. My horse wears boots for turnout (per vet).

My horse interferes due to confo, somethings just happen.