Unlimited access >

Boots for Horse that Stands Close Behind

Looking for recommendations for a hind boots as indestructible as they come! He is always in sport boots or wraps during work because he is close behind and interferes when he is nervous/tense (which is often). We have shredded our pair of Dover knock off DSBs in a matter of months, leaving bits of flaking plastic like breadcrumbs to retrace our steps.

Do true DSBs hold up better? I have DSB on the front and they are going strong but the fronts are not the issue. Anyone else using anything better?

at his hocks and on down plumb? or base-narrow?

Shires Arma Air Motion Brushing Boots are my regular boots for this. They’re durable, not too expensive ($30ish a pair), stay put, and aren’t hot. My guy is a sweater but these boots hardly get sweaty. They’re not the fanciest (no fur or leather-look) but I’ve been using them for years and really rate them.

3 Likes

I’ve had decent luck with Woof boots over the years-- but a horse that really truly brushes consistently will shred anything eventually.

1 Like

2nd the Arma air motion boots. Nicely padded all around, with durable strike pad, and very breathable.

2 Likes

I have not even looked at the Shires Arma because the bell boots I bought from them lasted all of a week.

He’s a little base narrow from the stifle, not the hock. He paddles out in front and interferes behind.

Which is perfectly compensatory. A moving trapezoid…like a Citroën. I have a horse like this…i exhaust my farrier over him. following this post!

I don’t like their bell boots either, but these brushing boots are durable.

I have the same issue. I found Professional Choice Hybrid boots work well. They don’t have a stitched exterior strike plate like the DSBs. They’ve lasted the longest for me. Just noticed they now offer a model with a fleece lining.

1 Like

I use ProLite closed-front tendon boots (fronts and hinds) on one mare, and for the mare that severely interferes behind, I use Thin-Line ankle boots. Both are very durable.

My horse shreds hind boots too. I use professional choice ventech boots ( lots of colors) or woof brushing boots. The ventech boots are inexpensive and last about a year and are breathable.

1 Like

My horse doesn’t stand too close behind but I also use these boots and they are great. Durable, cheap, not too bulky, clean up well in a washing machine and dry quickly, and very breathable. Kinda my go-to for everything now.

1 Like

My guy also interferes behind pretty significantly – when I pulled him from life as an Amish buggy horse, he had quarter sized open wounds on both hind fetlocks. I agree with the above posters that recommend the Arma Air Motion. But my favorites are the LeMieux Snug boots. They have the hard strike plate, I like the elastic button closures vs velcro, and they are very breathable.

My mare travels closely behind and often interferes. She has been wearing the LeMieux ProSport Mesh Brushing Boots daily for the last three months and they’ve held up really well. Even better, they’re highly breathable, affordable, and clean up really well. I get mine from RW, which is having a sale this weekend!

1 Like

See, I like the look of mine, but the bottoms are a bit shredded (lower part of the strike panel - they don’t really have a good/durable strike panel, just leather like material). The stitching came undone, so I glued it back together, and I’m just not impressed. The Arma boots don’t have the nice leather look, but wear far better. I wanted the LeMieux’s to last.

I can’t use the snug boots since they are far to snug, my horse doesn’t have that much bone. However, other brands also make this style so there are choices out there.

For my base narrow horse, I liked either ASBs or Woof Double Lock boots. The Woof boots last longer because the velcro has a double lock to it, but they are also almost 2x the price.

100% woof double lock velcro. Mine have lasted years, still look great and my horse interferes behind badly, you hear the boots brushing with every stride.

My horse is also like this and I have tried LeMieux, Pro Choice, Eskadron, DSB, and Dover boots. All of those shredding within a month or so. The Arma boots are magic! I will also say the are the most breathable boot I have ever tried. They are hands down my favorite.

Yes, they are amazingly breathable! I bought some last year after seeing them recommended on here and have been really impressed. On hot days there may be a little sweat underneath but most days there is nothing, even if the area under the saddle is wet. They’re my new go-to for everything short of cross-country jumping.