Unlimited access >

Boots with wedges

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a boot that I can add a wedge to, for flat plantar angles. I know Easy Boot Clouds have a wedge, but I need something that’s more robust and not as clunky. It would also be great if he could be ridden in said boots, as the vet has cleared him for walking work. (Injury has nothing to do with his feet at all. The angles were an incidental finding. I just want him as comfortable as possible and hind shoes are not an option right now.) My horse is very athletic and active and the break over with the Clouds is not ideal. I have considered putting the Cloud inserts into another boot, like Equine Fusion All Terrain Ultra boots, which seem to fit him really well, but does anyone know if they would fit with an insert? Would I have to size up? Any boot/pad suggestions would be really helpful, as it’s extremely overwhelming to me. Thanks, in advance!

You might call EasyCare. It’s been a few years since I have talked to them but they were always helpful and knowledgeable:)

That said, as long as you are sure of the degree of wedge pad you want to use, I would put them in a trail boot.

My horse foundered in 2012 when EasyCare didn’t have therapy boots. I made pads out of 1/2” Golds Gym interlocking carpet squares. They were not thick enough to require going up a size in boots.

Back then I used Boas but EasyCare stopped making them and I am one person who really hated that:)

Hope this helps:)

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply! My horse was in 3 degree wedges up front initially, and I can only assume the back is the same, as the angles were flat in the front and behind. The way it was explained to me is that with the Cloud inserts, they allow the horse to find their own comfortable angle, and the pad will conform to that. They are just so thick and bulky, and I think it might force me to go up a size, or find a different boot entirely. The boots get so pricey!

I will reach out to them tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions. Thanks, again!

I have put regular wedge pads in my mare’s Renegades. It was basically for a trial…if raising her heels in back would decrease her toe dragging. I did it for about a week. She wasn’t negative plantar angle but she was level so seeing if gaining a couple degrees improved the toe drag. They stayed in the boot fine even though the Renegades are open in the back. It did help her toe dragging and the trimmer worked on taking some toe off underneath. I did not use them long term and pretty much kept to the arena but it did work for what I wanted to see.

Susan

Very useful information. Interestingly, a friend of mine asked me the exact same thing a few days ago, but I couldn’t help her. Thank you.

1 Like

I’ve considered this as well, and maybe placing a flat pad over that for comfort. I ended up contacting EasyCare, and they basically told me the wedge will make other boots sit too low on the foot if I add it to another model. They mentioned their comfort pads (flat) , but that does nothing to correct that problem I’m having, unfortunately.