Unlimited access >

Bought new Ariat tall boots... Now how to make them shine?

Okay so I bought some very pretty black Ariat tall boots. Just rode in them for the first time and am quite pleased. Anyways, I need some advice on how to make them nice and shiny. I use Horsemans One Step to clean them off but was wondering what to use to shine them? It’s been a while since I a) ridden in tall boots and b) cared if they were shiny.
Any little bit helps. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Don’t use OneStep (or any other saddle cleaner or conditioner) on your boots. Too gunky. Use Urad or another dedicated shoe/boot polish. Follow directions on label. :yes:

So Urad cleans and shines all in one bottle?

I only clean my boots with a slightly damp rag followed by boot polish. Use a brush to apply it,a soft brush and a soft rag to make them shine. Never put soap on them!

Urad definitely! I have Ariat’s as well and this stuff works great. In between rides I just wipe them down with a damp cloth and let the Urad do its stuff

[QUOTE=Hunterkid;7975391]
I only clean my boots with a slightly damp rag followed by boot polish. Use a brush to apply it,a soft brush and a soft rag to make them shine. Never put soap on them![/QUOTE]

I second this. Urad or another liquid might give you a better shine the first time, but nothing beats layers of old fashioned Kiwi polish.

Where was I reading about someone treating her boots with mink oil between polishing? She had really shiny boots!! Amazon sells electric boot polishers. I have been able to get boots very shiny using one with good boot polish.

Look at that-Ariat made a video on this topic!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mTrZGc4VHsw

[QUOTE=Limerick;7975457]
Where was I reading about someone treating her boots with mink oil between polishing? She had really shiny boots!! Amazon sells electric boot polishers. I have been able to get boots very shiny using one with good boot polish.[/QUOTE]

If it was a recent boot polishing topic (price for boot polishing services), that was me :slight_smile:

OP – how in depth do you want to go about polishing your boots? I could chat your ear off. :lol:

The basics:
-On brand new boots, before you go wear them ANYWHERE, build a nice base of polish on those babies.
-Then, to clean them, use a damp sponge and buff them with a microfiber/cotton chamois (this will dry the boots and shine them back up). Wipe them after every ride; do not let the dirt SIT on your boots.
-When your boots no longer “bead” water or are looking dull, it’s time to re-polish. THIS is your opportunity to strip them down with yes, SOAP (to remove all the old leftover polish.), condition them with conditioner (THIS IS leather; you need to condition them to keep them supple… I use a mink oil based conditioner), then rebuild your layers of polish.

That’s the short version. :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone for the info! I’m definitely going to order some kiwi polish and see how it goes!

Karasha- Dumb question but, do you polish the insides of the boots too? I’ve always wondered…Thx

[QUOTE=xcjumper;7976118]
Karasha- Dumb question but, do you polish the insides of the boots too? I’ve always wondered…Thx[/QUOTE]

I polish inside below the ankle. Otherwise, the upper portion (ankle-to-calf), I only cleanse it with soap whenever am stripping off all of polish from the rest of the boot. I will condition the entire boot in this time (includes inside) to keep it supple and moisturized. Then I polish in the appropriate areas. If the inner calf is a little grippy/sticky from conditioning (and letting it set), I would just wipe with a damp sponge and dry with cotton chamois.