Unlimited access >

Bowed Tendon Questions

I recently started caring for a 3 yo off track tb, with about the worst bowed tendons I’ve ever seen. I don’t think anyone has ever done anything to treat them.

Both back legs have pretty badly bowed tendons, and on one leg it’s even kind of raw looking, I think because it is so bowed.

I have him on supplements for tendons and ligaments, Omega oil, and to help build muscle and regenerate cells, and put standing wraps on every other day or so for additional support.

I know how to treat bowed tendons if it’s a recent injury; however his is not. Are there any liniments that anyone can recommend? I’m looking at Chapman’s Premium Liniment and one other with arnica, witch hazel, and lavender. Any suggestions and any help would be greatly appreciated!! I really want to help this poor little guy out, and his owner can’t afford surgery. Thank you.

Sounds like the horse really needs an ultrasound to assess the level of damage.

Save the money you are spending on supplements and topicals. Get an ultrasound to see where the damage is, and how bad it is. Put him on stall rest, and keep him in standing wraps 24/7, except for a daily bandage change. The vet will be able to tell you whether there is active inflammation that would benefit from twice daily cold hosing or ice. Make sure your farrier is keeping his feet very balanced so there are no unnecessary strains being put on any tendons/ligaments.

While technically possible to bow a tendon behind I have never seen that in a TB. STB yes. The chances of a TB bowing both hinds seems insanely rare. I agree that a vet exam with ultrasounds if necessary is the way to go.

I agree that you really, really need to have him ultrasounded. It’s fairly inexpensive and it will give you answers no one on a bulletin board can. It’s less common to see bowed tendons behind, and I would want a vet’s opinion about whether something else was going on. Definitely don’t put any topical liniment on if the leg is raw, that will make the horse even more uncomfortable.

The leg is most likely raw from “blistering” or “firing”, the most common race horse barn solutions for bowed tendons.

Get a vet.