Unlimited access >

Brake-checked while hauling yesterday - Careful out there

I’ve thought of putting a cattle guard on my truck periodically. I think I’ll look into it.

10 Likes

I have not had very much trailering experience, but last month I was the person designated to follow one of the trailers home. I don’t think they actually meant for me to literally follow the trailer home, but I did. And I very quickly realized that I would sacrifice my car to save the horses in the trailer in front of me (helps that my two favorite gray mares were in that trailer, but still).

The things I had to do to run interference for that trailer… And I could only be a buffer from behind. I am definitely a speeder, but I have long since grown out of tailgating. I had to be much closer to the trailer than I liked to keep other people from cutting between us. I also laid on my horn a few times to keep people out.

That was probably the most stressful drive I’ve had in years and I was just driving my own car and following!

13 Likes

That is so scary1. Glad you are ok!!

3 Likes

I know it is counter-intuitive, but its amazing how fast they can accelerate away if you are leaning on the horn and heading for their back seat.

This thread reminds me that I really must resurrect my dash cam for my truck. I can’t remember why it got taken out.

5 Likes

I have no issues with smashing my chest into the horn if someone does this to me - courtesy be damned, that f***wit needs an audible kick to the nuts. My only concern is that it spooks my horse, but he’s probably already freaked out by me having to stop short or change lanes suddenly.

6 Likes

Love this!!!

4 Likes

Do not forget that a significant percentage of drivers in the USA today have firearms with them.

It’s best to control your urge to react. That is why having a dash cam is helpful. You do not need to risk a confrontation with a stranger. Finding someone in law enforcement who will actually care and do anything if you try to report an unsafe driver is a different matter.

11 Likes

I got a speeding ticket on the Autobahn in Austria on my honeymoon. I truly thought those signs were just “suggested speed” and I wanted to see where my nerve broke. :rofl:

For the record, I did pretty much redline the car. It was, however, a mid-grade rental and therefore 160 kph = 100 mph and so…Not all that impressive.

I still think the speeding ticket that came in the mail about a month later was one of my best souvenirs. And well worth the 35 Euros :laughing:

5 Likes

I have train/air horns on my truck. They were a gift, I would never have purchased them because they’re kind of douchey.

I never ever use them, EXCEPT when someone cuts me off when hauling.

I admit that it’s tempting to blow them when an idiot stops on railroad tracks, but so far I have avoided that temptation.

9 Likes

That’s scary as heck!

What’s a WRX?

2 Likes

Subaru stock sport model. Typically driven by assholes who think every day driving is a rally race.

5 Likes

With or without a trailer behind, i’m one of the ones who immediately put a lot of car-lengths between me and a vehicle in front. Except in stop’n’go traffic and then I will often pull over at next exit, find shade and just wait it out…Especially if it’s summertime and i’m hauling.

I don’t understand tailgaters, but i know they abound. I just don’t pay attention to them. I am cautious enough about what’s happening in front of me to feel pretty confident that they won’t run into my rear end. When i’m towing i rarely pass unless they are truly a slow-moving vehicle like a tractor. (i drive on mostly country roads).

Some day, someday… vehicles will be equipped with automatic safety equipment that governs stupid aggressive behavior. I might not live to see it, but i self-soothe with the idea that it will happen to them.

4 Likes

My bro had a WRX & yes, he’s a potential roadrager :roll_eyes:
But I drove it once & admit it was tempting to see what it could do.
On LA freeways :smirk:
OTOH, he made fun of my PT Cruiser until he drove it. Then admitted it had some guts.

This thread reminded me of a stunt DH used to pull that nowadays would probably get him killed.
We were often driving on the same streets, unaware that we were sharing the route.
He’d get behind me, then, at a stop light, tip my bumper. Just hard enough so I’d glare at my rearview & see him laughing.
I only caught him once :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

What IS IT with men??!?!?!

1 Like

Sorry, it was funny to me then, still makes me smile now.
& like I said, I got his bumper, but just once.
He never did it to anyone else.
Of men I’ve known in my 7 decades, DH had THE LEAST ego of any.

6 Likes

oh, sorry…not just your husband…your comment tipped me over the line tho. Not just your guy but the majority or road-ragers… It’s so dangerously aggressive and totally unnecessary. I just don’t get it.

3 Likes

The PT Cruiser was based on the Neon, which was a good little car. It was much better than its looks. We had one for a long time.

Rebecca

1 Like

Same can be said of “karen” women who treat servers and clerks like garbage. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Jumping off point…
We call certain women behaving in a certain way “Karen’s”.
Is there an equivalent derogatory for men behaving similarly badly?

2 Likes

Chad.

8 Likes