Unlimited access >

Brakedown of costs having a jumper in NYC/NJ

Hey guys,
Thinking of relocating to the Tri-State area from outside of US and would really love to get a feel of what owning a horse (jumper, competing regularly) would cost in this area. I’m talking about everything from boarding, farrier, lessons, show costs, vet etc. All you can think of really and different scenarios for example shown barn vs. not, full service vs. not, you get the idea :slight_smile:

And yes, I know you can’t give precise figures. I’m just looking for a general idea of things. Like is the cost of owning and showing $50.000 or $500.000 a year.

Thanks!

What type of showing? A/AA? Lower rated?

I don’t have an idea for owning in that area, but the type of show you are wanting to go to will vary your cost.

If you are showing at the AA level at a top show barn in the NY metro area (Westchester, Long Island, lower CT) you can easily pay $3,500 - $5,000 per month per horse just for board and training. NJ is less expensive, if money is a consideration I would suggest that area.

[QUOTE=BAC;8148719]
If you are showing at the AA level at a top show barn in the NY metro area (Westchester, Long Island, lower CT) you can easily pay $3,500 - $5,000 per month per horse just for board and training. NJ is less expensive, if money is a consideration I would suggest that area.[/QUOTE]

In the same area, even just to show in the lower level jumpers at lower level rated shows, you’ll pay about $2000 a month just to keep the horse and probably about $500 per show.

If you’re looking for a barn in the central NJ area you can send me a PM–I can recommend my own. I don’t ride the jumpers but a number of people do at my barn.

You should really figure out where you’re going to be at. 30 miles can make a huge difference. I pay $220 per month in PA to board mine, but my g/f (30 miles East] pays $450. The further East you go the higher the prices get. Show prices vary too depending on what level you want to show. Farriers will vary greatly. I just had Chey shod on the front and he only charged me $80. My g/f paid $120 for Blaze.

I’m on Long Island and the price varies. Most decent barns will run you $1,000+ month for board alone. Also good to remember that turnout is a luxury here. That is not full care, but not full service. Farriers vary greatly, you can get 4 shoes for $150 or $500. Showing fees are normally about $200 for a local day show, then factor in trainer fees, trailer (if you dont have your own), braiding if needed, etc.

If you give me more of a budget, you can figure out how to fit things into the budget. You CAN spend $50k, but CAN spend $500k. Depends on your needs/wants/flexibility. :slight_smile: