Unlimited access >

Brave driver!

The problem with this idea is that a leash allows the dog more freedom to bite should he become offended that his attack was abruptly halted. Same with a horse kicking - you’re often more safe as close as possible rather than further away.

This is assuming you’re not talking a catch pole, which I don’t think anyone carries around with them in their car.

Agreed with @Gardenhorse, no one there looked ready to take the dog to task.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update video @pony_grandma. Queen Charlotte’s wounds look like they are doing well.

1 Like

That was frightening to watch. Like most here, I am firmly in the “control your damn dog” camp.

I’ve had the distinct displeasure of having a loose dog attack my mare while riding her. My mare went into kill mode, striking at the dog, and I hung on for dear life until the &%^&%& owner showed up and was able to call off her dog. Then… not 10 minutes later, we encountered another loose dog, this time with no owner in sight, and were very lucky that it was more bark and growl than bite. A few minutes later, with the mare still unsettled, I hopped off and led her (or I should say, we led each other) back to the barn. She is quite a fierce little mare under circumstances like this, but it takes her forever to calm down afterward.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Glad to see the mare appears to be doing well and appears to be in good hands.

I have heard mention of a GoFundMe for the driver, but I haven’t seen a link anywhere. I’m assuming GoFundMe links can’t be shared on here, but could someone point me in the right direction to find it? Did a quick search on GoFundMe but didn’t see anything.

Your assumption is correct.

The link is in some of the news articles surrounding the incident.

If you go to the Facebook link shared above, it is on there.

Thank you!

I was touring a barn for possible boarding and saw a german shephard chasing a loose horse in an arena full of jumps while people laughed and thought they were “playing.” If they thought this was a-ok, I knew that wasn’t a place I wanted to keep my horse. I left.

7 Likes

Whoever it was in the carriage who was recording the attack had amazing composure. I’m not sure she realized how much danger she and the other passengers were potentially in, but I’m impressed with how she tried to keep the kids calm.

That was awful. I can understand how the people there would have a hard time catching the dog because the horse was striking and I could see that she nailed at least one person who got too close. It isn’t just the dog that was a potential danger to anyone who tried to catch it, but anyone who followed the dog too close to the horse was at risk for a potentially fatal kick. Not that I’m “blaming” the horse in the least. She was protecting herself and I’m really surprised that the horse stayed under control and didn’t head for the hills.

I hope everyone who was injured or traumatized gets well soon. And I’m sorry that the dog ended up in this situation, whether it was because of equipment failure or poor training or management.

So often, accidents involving horses results in horses being banned from public areas. I can’t really blame the property managers because the potential liability for such incidents is so high, but I hope this doesn’t end up closing yet another public area to horses. Though, regardless of whatever happened that allowed the dog to attack, I do think that it should convince park authorities to strictly enforce the leash laws because the next attack will probably be caused by a careless owner who lets his/her dog off leash.

5 Likes

This. Reason #1,375 why I hate bully breed mixes. Often dumb, ill-equipped owners with dogs that they have no clue how to handle. This dog was doing what he was bred to do, the same way my German Shorthair Pointer can catch an egg in her mouth and not break it.

11 Likes

The person videoing was the mom of the kids.
I’m glad she was calm & level headed enough to keep her kids settled, get them all off the carriage (as soon as it was safe to do so) & catch at least part of the incident.

The owner/driver was the main one diving in there & trying to get the dog off her horse.
She did get hurt pretty badly (got stomped at least 4 times) in the process, but kept getting up & going back after the dog to try & keep it off her horse.

Incidents like this are why I am a firm believer that some breeds don’t belong in the hands of ignorant pet owners.
There are certain breeds that should only be owned by experienced & knowledgeable owners.

2 Likes

This is what I was thinking for the term “aggression” in this case.

This happened in my local area and it’s all over our local equestrian FB pages. From the owner of the horse and carriage company yesterday:

Update From Southern Breezes Carriages
As a carriage family we want to Thank each and every one of you who have supported and Prayed for Amanda, Charlotte and our family. We are all overwhelmed by your love and kindness. Amanda and her assistants bravery kept Queen Charlotte from even worse injuries during the brutal attack and ensured the safety of their passengers. They are both hero’s in our eyes! Charlotte remaining calm and putting her trust in her handlers shows the training that we pride ourselves on with each of our carriage horses.
As we all still try to process the events that took place that Saturday we ask for your prayers. Unfortunately the injuries Amanda sustained during the attack are extensive. She has a very long and difficult road to recovery. We are heartbroken by this news. But we all know our God is good and he will carry her through this with the support of her loving family and friends. Charlotte’s bite wounds are healing. Her sweet face is swollen and will never be the same. She’s experiencing some issues with her back legs and spine and further test are being done. Our focus is solely on her recovery physically and Mentally. She has been a carriage horse with us for 8 years and will forever have a home at our farm. None of us would have ever dreamed that a ride through beautiful Cane Creek Park could have turned into such a horrific incident. Please continue to pray for all that were involved.
From our Family, Amanda and her Family we are again so grateful for your prayers, love and support.

I feel horrible for everyone involved, even the dog. I think earlier comments are spot on, those people who owned the dog just had no clue at all. Who even knows if they had any idea their dog would react like that to seeing a horse and carriage. They should have but based on them not appearing to do anything at all to control their dog, who knows. As others said, I don’t blame bystanders for not trying to do more but the family that owned the dog should have been doing all they could to stop it and they didn’t seem to do anything till the dog finally collapsed.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update!

Exactly, and that’s why most people would not feel comfortable trying to interfere unless they had a heavy weapon capable of fracturing the dog’s skull and killing it. Bless the guy with the spatula, he tried to help.
Best to have a heavy weapon ie tire iron or other heavy object capable of breaking a thick skull . Out of control dogs kill people, as well as other animals, so when an attack is in progress people better be willing to kill the dog. I would be. Though I’d hate it, I’d do it.

5 Likes

I agree with your points. I may add a 4# hammer & crow bar to my cart when I drive down the road.

3 Likes