Unlimited access >

breaking in new field boots

I recently picked up a pair of field for free outside my barn. The only thing is, I’m not sure if they’re too tall for me, as they reach over 3/4 of my kneecap when pulled to the top. They have not been broken in either, and I was wondering what the best method is to do that.
I was under the impression the bathtub method was for stretching out, but they fit me well enough for new stiff boots, the only problem is the height, and I want them to drop a bit before I try riding in them.
I’ve also heard you shouldn’t walk around in riding boots so I’m not sure how to break them in without riding, the bathtub method, or walking around. And I don’t know if they’re too tall for me!

Thank you!

They sound just about perfect! I have never done the bath tub thing, so I can’t advise on that. The way we always broke in our new boots is… Work a good quality leather dressing (Stubben Hamanol is my favorite) into the ankle area, then bend the boots as if they were on your foot and your heels are really down, in other words push the toe of the boot twords what would be your shin and secure it in this position with a rubber band or some vet wrap. Let the conditioner soak in, undo wrap, reapply conditioner and bend ankle back and forth as if you are flexing and bending your ankle. The ankle area will wrinkle and drop. You can also condition the area that is the ball of the foot. Also, if the boots have a leather soul, use a wire brush to scuff the soul. If they have zippers (?) they will not drop as much as non-zipper boots.

Thanks I’ll try that! They don’t have zippers but I’m a little worried I’ll end up stretching the calf area out too much since they fit a little loosely right now!

If you don’t want the calf to stretch, put little or no conditioner there. If it does stretch, or is too roomy, get a pair of tall athletic socks,( tube socks work well) and cut off the toe and heel so that you have just the part that covers your calf/shin and a stirrup to go under your foot, top this with a thin Zock style sock.