Unlimited access >

Breaking in tall boots.... really interesting and unique question

Lol different things to do to break in tall boots? I know you haven’t heard that question before. Grew out of my old ones and now dreading the pain of new ones haha! Exercises to make the process go quicker? And anything to protect my poor knees? I was thinking of sticking on a big bandaid or something back there.

Heel lifts.

3 Likes

[QUOTE=SmartAlex;8019269]
Heel lifts.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. And you can wear them around the house before taking them to the barn.

I third the Heel lifts…and invest in Equifit gel bands for your ankles. They will help prevent rubs and pressure points on you Achilles tendon as the boots break down. I found that it stretched the ankle area just a bit so it was more comfortable once they were fully broken in and worn without the gel bands.

2 Likes

Haha ok! Do you think they’ll sell them at any tack store? I’m getting the boots this weekend so I don’t know if I would wait for lifts to be shipped to me…

Amazon sells them. If you go to an actual shoe store (not shoe dept) they might have them.

1 Like

Search the forum for bathtub method. It’s scary but it works. My fully-lined Dehners broke in very quickly doing this.

My new boots came with heel lifts. Also, the second time I rode in mine it poured down raining. I wore them until they dried and that made them very comfortable!

1 Like

I’m so scared to get em wet like that haha

It will be OK. I’ve gotten mine wet riding in rain, washing horses, sweating through them. It doesn’t hurt them. Doing it on purpose is OK.

I’ve always stretched out a cotton ball or two and then vetwrapped my ankle when breaking in boots- never a blister!

[QUOTE=SmartAlex;8019865]
It will be OK. I’ve gotten mine wet riding in rain, washing horses, sweating through them. It doesn’t hurt them. Doing it on purpose is OK.[/QUOTE]

Yep…and mostly importantly, it works.

you just need to get to mid-calf wet because that is where you want them to drop. Wear them until dry and they should be pretty good in one day.

You can use tack sponges as heel lifts.

Ok how should I go about getting them wet? I have a few hours tomorrow morning to do it haha!

My trainer folded my boots for me. She wouldn’t let me have them for about a week, but when she was done they were lovely

[QUOTE=horselovelife;8020451]
Ok how should I go about getting them wet? I have a few hours tomorrow morning to do it haha![/QUOTE]

Fill a bucket with water to about mid calf. Step in it with each boot. Go about your business until boots are dry. It’s best if you can ride while they are wet

Honestly, you have to get the boots wet inside. Either stick a hose down them or put your leg in over the tops of the boots. Just wetting the outside does nothing.

2 Likes

[QUOTE=Ambitious Kate;8020786]
Honestly, you have to get the boots wet inside. Either stick a hose down them or put your leg in over the tops of the boots. Just wetting the outside does nothing.[/QUOTE]

Still thinking about the getting it wet thing, I was thinking of maybe like spraying the inside a bunch, then soaking socks in water before putting the boots on! I need to make a day for me to do this lol, it doesn’t help that it hasnt been above freezing (or 0 for that matter) in a while:/ I can’t wear em around at the with wet socks unless I want hypothermia lol

Are they field boots with zippers? They will get wet inside if you stand in a bucket. No need for a hose.

How long will it take to dry if I just get the insides wet? Like soak it with a squirts thing?