Breast Cancer....My Journey

Should have a consult with a plastic surgeon within the next 2 weeks and then surgery soon after! I’ve also been contacted by Alberta’s cancer reasearch Biobank and decided to participate in their tumor and tissue donation program. If I can help with future research, why not? It’s not like I’m in need of keeping the samples lol I’m also hoping to be able to participate in a study where they follow women age 50 and over, recently diagnosed. It’s called the Amber study and will follow us for the next 5 years to see how physical fitness, nutrition, body composition etc may help in treating and improving cancer outcomes. We have a university that’s made many breakthroughs in science, so if my diagnosis can help a little bit, I’ll feel better!

8 Likes

That sounds like the best possible diagnosis you could get, it’s great that it was caught so early and good for you for reminding everyone of the importance of regular mammograms. Your doctor sounds wonderful.

2 Likes

Sounds like things are starting to move into place for you, that’s reassuring. Donating your tissue, time and effort to research is good, every little bit helps. Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts!

2 Likes

Things are moving…, I have my meeting with the plastic surgeon next Thursday to discuss which reconstruction (I’m hoping implant as it’ll get me back riding faster look and surgery is booked for December 19!..although I may also ask about DIEP reconstruction as it’ll look more natural…so much to think about!

3 Likes

It must feel completely overwhelming for you at times!

I hope your next appointment goes well and I hope you had a great Thanksgiving with good food and company.

1 Like

I’m Canadian so already had our Thanksgiving a month ago lol…but I am currently having a barn ladies weekend away!

1 Like

Ahh, sorry, but enjoy your weekend!!

I remember seeing Alberta but sometimes I forget. Sorry.

1 Like

I missed this post!

Glad things are moving along fairly quickly. So close to Xmas though, do you have holiday plans?

My parents, sister and barn family live close by (as in we are all in the same neighbourhood) so hubby and I will spend Christmas with them…I won’t have to cook or think about doing anything except relaxing! It’ll be great. My barn co worker gets married New Year’s Eve, so no dancing for me but as it’s all Indian food (my favourite) I’m determined to still be there and eat LOL (drains should all be out by then and my barn owners daughter is going to do my hair and my friend my makeup!)

Hang in there - the period immediately after diagnosis while meeting dr s and figuring out your treatment plan is VERY stressful.

I was diagnosed with advanced stage 3 invasive ductal back in 2012. Grade 3, only 10% ER positive, extensive lymph node involvement. Did chemo, bilateral mastectomy (lots of family history in terms of genetic cancers and I was in my early thirties when I was diagnosed), radiation, more chemo, and eventual oophorectomy and hormone therapy. Still doing Zometa infusions… got two more to go. I had a pretty scary prognosis early on… but I’m still here, with no evidence of disease 6 yrs later.

Breast Cancer is tough - no doubt about it - be it an early or late stage case. The positive side though is that there are so many incredible medical professionals dedicating themselves to this field. I had truly amazing doctors. I also had great luck with my local cancer center - they offered free counseling specific to people going through cancer, and support groups. It was really helpful to talk with other women my age going through something similar. I made some of my closest friends ever via support groups.

Best of luck - hang in there.

2 Likes

Like Virginia Horse Lover said, cancer is tough no matter what stage and I’ll add no matter which treatment.

You have a great attitude and lots of moxy, you’ll weather this well!

I dug out my mammogram referral and dusted it off, took it in to my GP to make sure there wasn’t an expiry date on it. GP shook his finger at me and told me to go in and get it done in the New Year after things calm down for me a bit.

Thinking of you!

1 Like

So had my meeting with my plastic surgeon. Besides the fact that she looks like a model lol she is fabulous and only does reconstruction surgeries for the hospital as well as specializing in cancer! We have decided on a silicone implant using Alloderm. I don’t have a lot of body fat right now (thank you barn work!) so implant is the better option. We are hoping that a chest expander won’t be necessary but if it is, surgery 2 will follow in 3 to 6 months to put in the final implant and at that time reconstruct the nipple (if necessary) and “lift” or do a small higher implant on the right breast to make it match…thanks to our Alberta Health Care ALL reconstruction, including anything later is covered! She figures I’ll be back lightly in the saddle, 6 weeks after surgery either way. If expanders are needed, I will be able to ride with them until I get my regular implants.

Bring on December 19 I now just need this out!

https://prma-enhance.com/breast-reconstruction-blog/what-is-alloderm-breast-reconstruction/

4 Likes

Sooooo glad it’s all covered for you!

December 19th will be here before you know it, now it’s time to get rested up and get yourself as relaxed as possible.

1 Like

It sounds like you’re in good hands and that you have a strong support system around you.

I had a mastectomy and immediate implant with alloderm earlier this year. My PS is a rider also, and I was back riding (no sitting trot!) in about 2 months. She wouldn’t let me go to the barn for a 4-6 weeks post-op or lift anything heavier than 10 lbs for a while. If lymph nodes are removed, range of motion in your arm may be affected and require some physical therapy. Sending prayers/thoughts for successful surgery.

1 Like

About how long did it take you to get back to full riding (sitting trot, jumping etc)? I don’t want to “ruin” anything lol

Hmmmm - I don’t really remember. I had my initial surgery in March. I had nipple reconstruction and modification on the other breast for symmetry in August, which set back riding again… but somewhere in between the two surgeries I was allowed to do whatever I felt comfortable doing with good support of the “girls”. The second surgery was much easier and less time for recovery.

Just had a tattoo done a couple weeks ago, but no real restrictions after that one. I will go back for a second tattoo session before the end of the year. Needless to say, it has been an ongoing process. Everyone is a little different, so you should go by what your doctor says and listen to what your body is telling you. You want to make sure you are all healed. I will say the implant side is definitely different. It is surprising how heavy it feels in comparison to the other side. I opted for the saline instead of the silicone. I find I hold my shoulders up or forward with more tension, which gets communicated to my horse. I have to consciously relax and maybe do some shoulder rolls to loosen them up.

1 Like

Met with my anesthesiologist today and everything looks good so Wednesday is the day! They are now advising to drink a small glass of clear liquid (apple juice etc) 3 hours before surgery as they’ve found not being dehydrated or low in blood sugar helps in recovery and metabolizing anesthesia drugs! Plus I’ll get a nerve block, as even though the pain is "apparently " lower in a mastectomy than other surgeries there is also a smaller possibility that it can actually help in preventing a reoccurrence. It’s low but every little thing helps…apparently they’re finding that by calming the nerves for 7 hours or so after surgery it’s seems to be stopping the “bad” signals as well. Guinie pig away!

Tomorrow i I head to our Tom Baker Cancer center to get my sentinel lymph node mapped. A few needles in my nipple (yowch) a PET scan and then I get to pee blue for a few days!

My last riding lesson is tonight tonight and then the nerves can set in!

3 Likes

Sending along some Jingles for a fast and easy recovery.

Glad that progress is being made and you sound good with the state of things! Emotional state is, IMO, also key to a good recovery.

You didn’t mention but your Drs maybe have already talked to you about post-surgical pain management. You want to keep pain under control and not let it get away from you. Keeping it in control is so much easier than getting back under control once it gets bad.

Check back in after Wednesday!!