Breast Cancer....My Journey

Good luck on the 19th eclipse, we will be thinking of you.

1 Like

Lots of jingles for a very successful surgery and a fast, easy recovery!!!

1 Like

Just wanted to send some good thoughts and well wishes your way! My Mother is a three time cancer survivor, two of those times being breast cancer. She had a double mastectomy and recovered very well from it! You will be in my thoughts on the 19th and I’ll be looking forward to seeing your updates!

1 Like

I am sorry I missed this thread. Many jingles headed your way

1 Like

Thinking of you.
Have someone let us know how it goes (if you want to) OK? You may be a bit goofy post-op.

1 Like

Sending healing thoughts to you.

1 Like

Best wishes for the best possible outcome on Wednesday!

2 Likes

Thinking of you!

1 Like

Guess today is Wednesday?

Big Jingles!

1 Like

Jingling all the way…

1 Like

Jingles today OP.

I had a bilateral mastectomy initially, with expanders and alloderm. If you have any questions or concerns post op, and want to reach out via PM and just chat anonymously - feel free. My initial post op experience was positive, but I was unprepared for what expanders felt like. They’re a little strange. I think I did 4 or 5 expansions (where they fill them) during the period leading up to eventual swap surgery. I was active with a local support group for young women (under 50) and it helped me at the time to have actual people who had gone through this to talk to, in addition to my doctors.

I also was blessed with great healthcare here, and got immediate information on simple physical therapy I could do at home within a few weeks of surgery. Mainly range of motion stretches and exercises for my shoulder. If the surgeon hasn’t supplied you any info, that’s a good thing to ask about. Physical therapy is so helpful.

I eventually ended up with a silicone implant on one side, and had to have diep flap reconstruction for my other side, after some rare complications during radiation (I had to have that on the side my cancer was found with the expander in… the other side was a prophylactic mastectomy, and was a much more straightforward process). I did go through two “swap” surgeries on the unradiated side, as well as eventual diep flap reconstruction on my other side (they used the flap for one side only, as I was too lean to use it to reconstruct both). Figuring out symmetry was a work in progress for a little while, and I had some anxiety when I was going through it. But I had great doctors, and several years out now, and I feel really positive about my whole reconstruction experience, and good about my choices.

Hang in there, and congrats on getting the first leg of this thing behind you. Being a horsewoman who has also gone through mastectomy and breast cancer makes you part of a uniquely VERY tough club.

2 Likes

Hope you’re resting comfortably!

1 Like

Surgery went well, not much pain manageable on Tylenol 3 now the nerve block is starting wear off! I have ended up with an expander which is not unexpected. After yesterday’s sentinel node mappig, they did discover I am one in a low amount of women who show a direct access from the breast to the inter mammary nodesnwhich are located behind the breast bone, so they aren’t able to biopsy due to location. Therefore I may end up with prophylactic radiation just to make sure they’re “clean”!

Virgina Horse Mom: I have a booklet in my large package my oncologist gave me which shows exercises to do by week, plus a chart in the back to keep track of my drainage. The drain is remarkably easy to use!

one of my friends was visiting today and got to meet my oncologist, and now has a huge crush on this lovely man hahahahahaha

5 Likes

Thank you for updating so soon, glad you’re doing well. It helps when your oncologist is a piece of eye candy!

2 Likes

Those blocks right after surgery are great.
They give you time to get back on your feet after they scramble your brains with anesthesia, before any pain sets in.

Sounds like you did great, considering and are already on healing mode.

1 Like

I’m glad the surgery went well, and that the pain is manageable.

I’m also glad your oncologist is so crushable. Lol I figure if I have to go the dr and go through procedures it’s going to be with one that is pleasant. Eye candy is a bonus!!

1 Like

Hi Bluey…the block is actually given before the surgery! If you’re interested here’s a link to the where they talk about it relating to breast cancer. I found it very interesting, but I find this stuff fascinating anyway lol

https://academic.oup.com/painmedicin…/4/756/2584046

Even though I was still under a general anesthesia, I wasn’t put as deep as you normally are and woke up feeling a lot more alert faster than I have before, plus I have not had to do those coughing exercises as my lungs don’t have that feeling that haven’t been used properly (not sure how to describe it, but every other time I’ve been under I’ve had to do cough exercises), plus no sore throat! Amazing! I also got to watch them doing the nerve block as they do use the ultrasound method (safer less chance of hitting the lung) so that was pretty cool! My plastic surgeon also came to watch as it was her first one using this technique as well. She also does a lot of gender reassignment surgeries in Calgary…she is fascinating to talk to!

I was definately more sore yesterday…no matter how you try to prepare yourself for expanders you’re not prepared. I am currently referring to it as my “Barbie boob” because yes it does look and feel like hard Barbie plastic. And, standing and walking hurts, a “stretching” feeling and like others have said I have to force my shoulders upright. But, today’s a bit better as it will be every day. Hard to imagine riding with this thing, but our bodies are amazing at adapting so I’m forcing myself to take things slow and easy!

LOL with my oncologist…it’s not that he’s “eye candy” but I think because he’s an older, very kind man with a smile that goes to his eyes. You just can’t help but like him immediately…even my husband commented how kind he is. It takes a special person to become an oncologist!

2 Likes

Sending best wishes your way.

1 Like

Yes, I had a block right before shoulder surgery, watched the anesthesiologist place the needle and do it.

My arm was like a dead log for almost two days, which I didn’t mind at all, just had to watch not to bump it.
Will catch up to the link later, I bet it will be very interesting.

Good that they didn’t knock you out like for some more invasive surgeries, where it takes days to get over those medications.

Glad that you are up and moving and doing good, that is important.
Thanks for letting us know how it all goes.
We never know when it will be us that have to go thru that and now we know more.

1 Like

Glad the surgery went so well eclipse, and hoping you make a very rapid recovery and will be back on a horse soon.

1 Like